Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Ear Appointment

I had another appointment for my ear today, including several more (unplanned, by me) kinds of hearing tests and an (expected) tube in my left ear.

I learned today that my hearing is actually "pretty good," that is for his frequent patient in their 60s. He has seen far worse, but my left ear still was significantly worse than the right, both in negative pressure and in hearing scores.

The steroids made no impact, leaving me still with 200 (pounds? I'm unsure of the level of measurement) of negative pressure in the left ear, about 10 decibels less hearing in the left than the mildly nerve-damaged right, and a significant drop off, to profound hearing loss, on the left when it comes to some ranges/frequencies.

He did in-office-surgery to put a tube in that left ear. He had warned me ahead of time that the numbing ear drops might burn a little. I never felt any "burning," just crawl-off-the-table acute pain for less than 10 seconds. After it took effect, nothing more for the rest of the procedure. It did sound a bit like someone was eating Rice Krispies in my ear canal, for all the snapping, scratching and popping sounds, but quite tolerable.

When he made the cut in my eardrum I didn't feel any pain, but I did, instantly, feel like someone had turned up the volume, even before he got the tube placed. He says, because of my different kind of hearing loss, that I will probably need hearing aids also, but this should at least help balance out pressurization from the injured eustation tube.

If the combination of this surgery and hearing aids don't significantly improve things, we may be looking at another surrey under general anesthesia where he will cut the outer ear of from behind, fold it forward, and go into the inner ear for exploration and hopefully for repair. I would very much like to avoid such surgery!

Between the ENT office and our car, my ear spontaneously popped 3 times! I feel this is encouraging step toward equalizing pressure.

This afternoon I have an ear ache, headache, side of my face pain, and jaw pain. It is manage with extra strength Tylenol, but I think a good nap will help even more.  Nothing like two surgeries in less than a week, though today's was far less invasive or emotionally traumatic.

I can't hear well at all right now, worse than before the surgery. I'm guessing this is from swelling and only temporary? I go back in six weeks for a post-op check up (and I think another round of hearing tests, though I am not sure) unless I have any new drainage, then I am to go in sooner. Then back to my other audiologist for hearing aids, if needed.

 I did find out today that the bones in my ear are "beautiful." :)

On a different note, my neurologist is starting me on some medication (I think a newer anti-depressant) as early as tonight or tomorrow (depending on when the pharmacy has it ready) for my emotional swings and black moods. We have crossed the threshold of adding depression to PAB. It could take up to two weeks to feel any kind of difference from the medication. Thank you for your prayers!

Verse of the day:
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8


2 comments:

  1. Dear Jenni - you are going through so much.

    I pray that as you write and keep us informed so we know how to pray, that some of the pressures drain out of you by expressing all of it.

    Please know that many love you and are praying you through. May your heart be encouraged in knowing that even when your body is still compromised.

    Much love, sweet friend!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying with and for you, Beautiful Bones! (Love that)

    ReplyDelete