Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Insurance Hiccup

I found out yesterday that insurance has not approved the continuation of my physical therapy. I was really upset about this last night, but just trying to roll with the punches today. We are appealing the decision, but this will take 2-3 weeks and insurance has already said to expect a "No" as our final answer, so at this point I will not be doing physical therapy until our new insurance year starts in July.

I knew, all along, that this could be a possibility, but the reality of present circumstances is harder to cope with than anticipated! My therapist didn't think there would be any issue, because of the severity of medical necessity.

I am still not walking, but it is close. The lapse in therapy will likely cause significant regression in my progress, but the insurance says their decision is not based on medical need, but rather on the limitations of our policy. Since I priced out out-of-pocket care today and found that it would average us nearly $500 per session (twice a week, discounted price), with no payment option so this does not sound do-able either. While continuance of care seems critical, I will have to be content to wait until July. I have never been so thankful for our fiscal year and a fresh restarting of care then!

I am thankful to have insurance and am thankful for what they have paid thus far, as we could be a lifetime of debt otherwise. I know God has used the care provided to me already to work much improvement. I know many have no coverage at all. So I am very thankful. I'm just not liking the fact that medical need is not a consideration of provision.

We have seen God move, outside of human contractual agreement, already since the stroke, so I know God is bigger than the circumstances. He may have some reason I am to wait for further care until July. If so, I want to be content in that. I would be lying if I said it wasn't an emotionally unsettling place to be in this waiting though!

Yesterday was a hard day, not only because of this news, but for humbling reasons I am not ready to share publicly. I want to be open about this journey, but know all too well how it can rob me of dignity, so there are a few very person things you will not hear here.

On the good news front, my left hand is now strong enough to rip toilet paper again, something I lost in the 4th, 5th or 6th stroke last fall. One morning, several weeks after the initial strokes and after I had started using my left side again (from the initial paralysis) I woke up and simply could no longer use my left hand well enough to grip even this. Praise the Lord for His work! I'm sorry if that sounds like TMI or somethink funny to celebrate, but to me it is a very big deal!

I did buy myself a new cane this week, pink and covered in a design of roses. I figure if I am going to be using a cane in my 30s, it might as well be a pretty one! Hopefully I can still progress into using it instead of the walker, soon, even with only home exercise.

I have managed to make a few meals this week, with help. Rick blessed us by bringing home tacos last night and my mom is bringing meat loaf over tonight. Between trying to learn how to work in the kitchen again and going from not having kids around at all to managing the needs of 3 sick kids, I am one tired lady! I've slept for long afternoon naps 3 of the last 4 days.

Please join us in prayer about medical coverage. I would love to see the looks of surprise on the staff of my therapy office when I, hopefully, walk back in there without a walker in early July, or even better yet, to have insurance approval to go back much sooner and be able to tell everyone that God did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment