Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Prayer Warriors

I am thankful for the amazing team of folks praying for me!

My upper back pain is almost completely resolved and took no attention or time out of therapy yesterday. Praise the Lord!

Yesterday, in therapy, we worked on walking, forward, backward and to both sides. I also have clearance to start walking around the house with a cane, as long as another adult is walking with me. The therapist thing that if I continue at my current rate of improvement, I could possibly be walking around the house by myself (this may mean a cane, but no walker) in maybe another month or two. Remember, at least two doctors and this therapist questioned that I would ever walk at all. It hasn't happened yet, but I want to keep pushing forth as if it will. I am also to continue trying to go without the walker, like when I walked into church on Rick's arm last week.

I have slept much better at night, the past two nights. Please keep this an ongoing matter of prayer. Thank you.

My nose spray (because the ustation tube goes from the back of the nose to the middle ear, why some people plug their noses and blow to pop their ears, like after swimming) has continued to give me headaches. I stopped last night and am currently just planning on the tube later this month.

I told Rick that even though my mouth still feels numb, I must be getting some feeling back, because when I bit myself 4 times the other day (common, because my mouth feels "swollen") I actually felt some pain. Rick said, "I don't know if I should say, 'Congratulations!' or, 'I'm sorry.'" I feel it is progress.

I said I would tell you how my crock pot dinner turned out last night. I still needed more help getting it all in the pot than I would have liked (thank you, Kathy), but it was ready when Rick came home from work, didn't take much additional time or effort to finish up, and it actually tasted good. We are getting this slowly figured out.

My eyes seem much more aligned to folks looking at me. I still see double, to the sides and even some right in front of me. The images are much closer and sometimes just exhibit as a single image with blurred edges. The glasses, in no way, address the doubled vision, but because they bring everything more into focus and my eyes are not so strained when I wear them, I am less likely to see doubled, or at least not as significantly doubled, when I wear them. My eyes look so much better that anyone looking presumes I'm seeing normally, unless I tell them otherwise. There was no doubt, even to the casual observer, even just a month or so ago, that I was cross-eyed!

I no longer think I look "disabled," like I still did even last week. I realized Sunday that I look pretty "normal" now. While anyone could tell by looking at me, before, that something wasn't right, for the most part people would half to hear me talk, see my stumbling walk, notice the walker by my side, or notice my left arm sometimes drawn unnaturally up to my chest, to realize I'm still fighting anything. Waiters actually treat me like everybody else and seem surprised when I scrape together my scratchy voice to place my order. I think my eyes have been a big part of this change, but also my coloring is better, my hair is growing a bit and the acne I've fought since the hospital is more manageable now. I still feel "broken," but it feels easier to go out in public when I don't so look it.

Thank you for all the encouragement and prayers!
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

1 comment:

  1. Jenni,
    Such an amazing story! I wish I was closer and could do something more tangible than pray. But, I know prayer is vital and be assured I pray regularly for you. It's nice to have specifics within your blog to help guide my prayers. God, continue to restore Jenni's eyesight and her mobility. Give her physical strength for therapy and emotional strength for the journey of healing. Let her life be a witness to her doctors, nurses, and therapists. Surround her with friends who can help in the everyday tasks. Envelop her with your love, strength, and grace. Amen!

    ReplyDelete