Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Sickness

Our kids have been home since Thursday and Friday (oldest came home then, as he had been too sick for the travel before). Unfortunately, we have had at least one feverish since Thursday night. After our second trip to the doctor, two vomiting kids and three that sound like barking seals when they cough, all three have started antibiotics tonight. I'm glad to have the extra time with them at home, but hate to see them feeling so miserable!

The good news is I'm exhausted enough that I slept soundly last night, until past sunrise this morning! This was after a long nap yesterday afternoon. Thank you for your prayers! Please continue to hold up both Rick and my mom, Betty, as I will be in sad shape if either of my primary care-givers get sick. I know my mom is especially tired right now.

The doctor says that the virus the kids have had (that since gone bacterial) is highly contagious. I worry about catching anything, not only because of all the other complications but because it would be miserable to get this congested with my dis-functioning eustation tube! Thankfully, the kids should no longer be contagious after 48 hours on antibiotics, so we have a good chance of getting the kids to homeschool co-op on Thursday and R's (9-year-old) play Friday night.


I am a little congested and have a mild cough, but nothing significant. I have more been battling elevated levels of nausea, seem to be choking more than normal and am battling bladder control issues. Today I am feeling done with the whole stroke experience. If only it were that easy...

A friend asked me if the emotional issues (excess crying and laughing or other outbursts, often unrelated to the actual situation or depth of my feelings related to any given situation) are common to stroke. From my research, this only happens about 20% of the time, but as I pointed out to my friend, my reaction isn't surprising since I had 6 strokes. She replied, "That's 120% odds."

On a similar note, depression happens in 50% of folks, post-stroke, so I would appreciate your ongoing prayers concerning this possibility as neuro pathways seek to repair and rewire. Since I am terribly sensitive to medications and hormonal imbalance, this would not be a pretty picture as there is little we could do, medically, if it were to happen.

Today in therapy. we continued working on walking and I made it to 1,300 steps on the seated stepper. It took me about 17 minutes, rather than my normal 15, but it was exciting to reach this goal.

The director of therapy took video of my progress to share with my doctors and therapists at the rehab hospital I stayed at in November and the first couple weeks of December.

One of the receptionist shared with me her memories of my initial tour of the outpatient therapy center (20 visits for physical therapy ago) when I came in wheel-chair bound and significantly with crossed eyes. She is excited by how much progress I have made so far.

Tatter-Tot casserole was in the oven (with my mom's help) and my 12-year-old muscle man just lifted it out for me. It feels wonderful to be (partially) working in my ownkitchen again!


3 comments:

  1. Oh Jenni! I'm praying for you and totally get the wanting to "be over it"! I also understand how nice it is to be able to be back in your own kitchen. I'm praying you have many more days of that and I'm excited that you made 1,300 steps! That's awesome! Keep up the great work!

    Jennifer N-F from FB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the blog has a like button like FB has. I would give Jennifer's reply a hundred thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear "Unknown,"

      These posts also go live to FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=245400558907276&id=339888582731687

      Delete