Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Waiting for the Phone

Rick has our daughter in for x-rays of her foot this morning. We may be adding another cast to the mix soon. I am just waiting for his phone call to tell me if it is broken or just bruised/sprained. When Rick is the only driver in our immediate family, it makes the loss of my driver's license feel particularly significant. Plus, my heart hurts to be there for our baby girl when I know she is in pain.

We are also waiting for another phone call from the insurance company. We get a different story every time we or the outpatient rehab facility talks to them. There's currently about $12,000 of coverage in question for previous treatments plus possibly another month worth of therapy they won't cover too. We had per-approval for these therapies, but apparently it takes a while for all the paperwork to move through the system and when we were originally "approved" they didn't have all our prior claims yet, so they aren't wanting to stand by their pre-approval because they didn't know all we had already spent, in light of our contract limits.

I am still really struggling with teariness and dwelling on dark thoughts, but thanks to your fervent prayers and God's grace, I haven't totally melted down, crying and screaming at Rick, since Monday morning. The BPA is still just as out-of-control, but thankfully it has swung back in the general direction of laughter rather than tears. I laughed and laughed over the delema of our daughter's foot even though I did not think the situation was remotely funny. Still, better than tears. Hopefully the medication will start to balance out my brain chemicals in another week or two.

I'm still not hearing well. Often thinking sounds are coming from the room behind me when they are actually to my left. I think I'm hearing less well than before the surgery and don't think I can just blame it on post-op swelling anymore. :( I do seem to have healed better-than-expected from my surgery last week and for this I am very thankful!

I'm collecting Bible verses to put on a quilt for my friend Kendra who also had a stroke. One of the most personal and meaningful gifts I received in the hospital was a "prayer quilt." It was quilted (think old fashion quilting bee) then tied with yarn at the intersections. Each place it was tied represented someone stopping specifically to pray for me. I loved the though of going to sleep being literally "covered in prayer." Especially if you know Scott or Kendra and/or if there is a verse that you feel would seem significant to her in the rehab hospital as she fights to learn to stand and breath without a trach again, please send your ideas! If you are a stroke survivor, please include how long. I am looking for short verses or longer ones with key words or phrases so I can include those with the reference and your name (or a general group name like the "HP Gals"). It is a tie-together craft for younger kids to do as a classroom project, so yes I am trying to do it myself. (The handwriting looks messy, like it is done by a kindergartener, but hopefully it is large enough and clear enough that Kendra will still be able to read it even with double vision.) I'm calling it therapy. :) Per my mom's idea, I will include fabric markers when I send it, so that anyone who visit her there can also sign.


Praise - we just learned our daughter's foot in badly sprained, she is on crutches, but it is not broken! No cast. :) 


"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads." Deuteronomy 11:18

1 comment:

  1. I was just reading about ear tubes in adults - it's not an instant fix. It takes three or four weeks for your body and brain to adjust to having the tube in there changing the way your ear hears. Hopefully you'll get used to it soon. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete