Starting October 25 of 2011, "InfertilityMom," 39-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder of Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes, all due to vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office. The largest two strokes were brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly Christmas and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care (please read more and watch short video). Jenni is now walking (with a cane or wheeled walker), has recovered much eye-sight, some hearing, partial use of her hands, cares for most of her own personal/toiletry needs, and is currently writing three books, maintains multiple blogs, and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Near the five-year recovery mark, Jenni has renewed her pre-stroke excitement about the unique Lilla Rose hair Flexi eight jewelry she sells and has finally regained enough hand/arm function to regularly use! (The biggest ongoing losses at the 4 1/2-year point of recovery are left-side nerve pain, inability to drive, loss of homeschool teaching capability, significant sound processing issues (often triggering nausea), and some profound physical ability limitations such as a limp, balance challenges, clumsy use of right hand and only large motor function in left hand.) Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equipts you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Jenni is clinging to God's grace through the entire experience. Here is her unfolding story, documented in her own words (typing with only her right hand), as she perceives it happening in real time, messy, honest and to the glory of God...

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ear Surgery, Therapy & Nuerology

We had an eventful and rather unexpected outcome to today's hearing appointment. It was decided that I would just skip over hearing aids for now and move right into exploratory surgery of my left ear. Our otolaryngologist (ear / nose / throat doctor or ENT) did not push us into this decision, but was very open to questions, candidly shared the pro and cons of several choices, and is fairly confident that he can help me via this route.

There is mild nerve damage (in both ears) that will not be able to be addressed with present technology. The bigger concern is that there seems to be something that is preventing the nerve's capable function from being realized, resulting in dramatic hearing loss in that left ear.

Since I am already at the end range of hearing loss that current aids might even be able to assist, we have chosen to try to address it sooner rather than later, as I likely will continue to loose hearing as I age. Hopefully this surgery will extend the number of years until I need hearing aids, though it is likely I will still need them fairly early in life, maybe even in addition to the surgery.

The surgery was initially to be scheduled for TOMORROW morning, but since I am on blood thinners, we are needing to establish a game plan with my prescribing doctor first. I must be off the blood thinners (or on ones with a much shorter half life) for a full week before surgery can efficiently be preformed.

At this point, I am to take my medication daily, for the rest of my life. So surgery is currently being delayed indefinitely, contingent on whatever medication decision is made by my first surgeon who placed the stents. How frustrating to need surgery due to the strokes, but be unable to seek surgery at this time, also due to the strokes!

My physical therapist, who has has been so wonderful, and I talked via phone this week. Emotionally, I would have liked to go back to him in July, for further rehabilitation. Medically, he highly encouraged me to consider a different therapy location and a therapist specializing in neuro impairments. As a result, I am scheduled at another facility for both occupational and physical therapy, starting  the morning of the 9th of July.

That same day (in the afternoon) I am to see my neurologist again. We will talk about my emotional fluctuations, the possibility of trying to regain my driver's license, and I'm sure whatever else he has on his agenda.

I seem to be doing very well, emotionally, today, after having a very bad last few days. Worrying about Rick last night could have been the start of a "breakthrough" like I've been praying for. I woke up, not even tempted to cry this morning (almost unheard of in recent months!), so thankful am I that he is OK. I have been dealing with PBA today, laughing uncontrollably at times, but the depression seems better. I'll give it some time to prove the change, but right now I am hopeful!

Here is the verse that has been playing through my mind since yesterday morning's post,:
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? - Jeremiah 17:9


1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about you & praying for you.

    I'm not on FB, but I am praying those you know there will be understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete