Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Links

This is my blog (sure, you are more than welcome to read it too), so sometimes I just need to record things that may only be meaningful to me or those closest to me. Bolded, below, you will find the one thing I actually posted intentionally for the public today, along with this song:





You may be bored by some of this. But, of course, you are welcome to read anything here. 


First, I am thrilled with the collection of verses posted at Not Alone . More great "God With Us" stuff like I've been looking for. Thank you.

I'm still, somewhat, avoiding mirrors because I don't like the reminder of all that has been lost. I am trying hard to see myself as "beautiful" through God's eyes, because he knit me together from a one-of-a-kind pattern. But as mirrors go, isn't this a pretty one with a great reminder (and on sale this month too)? Everything Beautiful or Beauty in His Time (not on sale, but still a pretty good price and so precious!On Sunday, for the first time I remember, since  the strokes, I was really able to study myself in a mirror and then conclude, "I actually look kind of pretty."

I know the circumstances are very different, but this article, called Tomorrow: Complete Cycle of Grief, about grief and the passage of time, strikes a chord with me. It resonates as I picture my own future, holding my growing children, maybe sitting on a couch to hold children of their own (I hope I am strong enough for that someday!), limping across a stage, maybe cane in hand to replace walker, as a public speaker telling my story to proclaim God's glory, book published and lives changing. I can picture tomorrows now, hope for the future a bit (this is a pretty fresh, new ability), but what of today? As the article says, "The sun will come out tomorrow, but the tomorrows seem so endless. When will the tomorrow that brings joy come, when will the tomorrow of relief, of fond memory, of reflection arrive? That time is taunting her.  She's been told of it, the time that a smile will come across her face, that time where her eyes will light up and she will begin to feel restored. She needs that day..."

When Nothing is All You Have to Give - Maybe this will be me someday, in the context the author posts, but today it is me in another, very real way, asking God to take my nothing and heal relationships and more. I am so very broken! I give God nothing!


Here's a great (nice and short) reminder about what I give to God (Children pictured and mentioned) along with some great grace verses. Practicing Glory

Next, in searching the word, "grace," I came across Aging With Grace, a caregivers' website and an article specifically on stroke. (Yes, stroke is still considered to happen primarily to "old" people, thus the website on aging.) Anyone else have any good caregiver pages to share? I want to nominate Rick for this caregiver's award to let him know how much I appreciate all the sacrifices.

Since I have an "old person's condition," I got a giggle out of this 17th century prayer on aging that Joni Eareckson Tada recently shared. Some hilarious truths!




If insurance won't cover my hearing aids (still waiting for the answer we expect to ultimately be a "no!") maybe Christian Fund for the Disabled by Joni and Friends will help pick up a portion of the many thousands of dollars that will be required? I'll start by tacking the link here so I can hopefully find it again if I need to apply. 

One thing does come to mind that I specifically want to ask of my readers. If you would please pray that I will find ways to shower my husband with expressions of love, to simply have enough emotional control to talk to him in a sane fashion (not melt into a puddle of hysterical tears every time we try to hold a simple conversation) I would so appreciate a breakthrough here! (I would imagine he would too.)  


I guess that's all of my notes to myself today. I leave you thinking on another passage:
Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.

- Habakkuk 3:17-19


No comments:

Post a Comment