Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Today's Surgery

I'm home from surgery. Rick says I was pretty pale when I came home around noon, but immediatel went to bed, slept for several hours, and thanks to continual does of pain  and nause meds, am almost back to regular coloring and eating with less nausea than is typical for me, post surgery. My main complain is that I feel so very week and absolutely exhausted.

Our anesthesiologist spent probably 15 or 20 minutes with us this morning, wrestled through some tough issues, and was a total gem! She wrote down the protocol she finely decided on, for us, so we have it to reference in the future.

I'm uncomfortable, but really not in terrible pain unless I accidently bump my ear into my pillow. It feels very "plugged, " both from internal (will self-dissolve over the next few months) and external (leave alone for 24 hours, then where as much as I can for 6-8 week) packing. They found and removed lots of scar tissue (most likely from the stroke eustation tube paralysis and so many months of such high, constant internal pressure) that was immobilizing some of the function of the bones in my middle ear. We won't really know how it worked until the packing is dissolved in a couple months, but I am told my ENT came out of  surgery, "grinning like a school boy," so we are hopeful!

I was very shakey (needed my walker and two adults to steady me) when I first used the restroom after the recovery room a couple hours after surgery. They put me in a wheel chair to go out to the car and I was still amazed at how unresponsive and unsteady my body was, especially on the left, for the car transfer.

It isn't so much that I have just "gotten used" to being as dizzy as I was early-on, but definitely that I have seen improvement in this area. Today, I;m still not as dizzy as I remember being when they got me up the first few times post-stroke, but it is quite reminiscent of how I think I felt when I first came home from the hospital. In think, for safety, I'm back to the walker for a bit.

Going to try to sleep again now. "Happy" 9 month-anniversary.

P.S Thank you yo my hubby for correcting for multiple typos! Thank you to all of you dor the prayers!

3 comments:

  1. I checked earlier to see if there was an update. Must have just missed you.

    I'm glad it went well and I pray that the results are more than what you (or your doctors) could imagine.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete