Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Anniversary

I'm goinf to try something. I'm going to tpye this with two hands and post the unedited version. I've been practicing hard with my left hand, so even though my shoulder is already really burning and it is very slow going, I think this will still be readable?

Our anniversary was nice, yesterday. Thank you forthe blessing of 20 years, Rick, especially the trials of thiw past year!The kids had a sleep-over with their visiting cousin at my parets' house and In took my husband's arm to go todinner - I almost knocked him over several times,but it was fun to push the strokes toward the backburner gor a bit. We then went to a gym (a doctor and a therapist want me doing water therapy)...

Nope, can't do it. It has taken about 14 minutes to type those two partial paragraph's and my left arm and shoulder are screaming, so back to single-handedness for a bit...

...but my therapist/training wasn't at the gym. The computer said we had been "rescheduled" but we never got a phone call and wasn't anywhere else in the computer, so I'm now scheduled to be initiated next month. Wish I would have known that before we rearranged our anniversary, but I'm trying to be optimistic and say we started a new, healthier chapter of our lives for our anniversary, by joining a gym. :)

I did try a couple of pieces of equipment like I've used at rehab and I also tried a new (to me) weight machine, set on the very lowest setting. I was able to fairly easily push the bar up with my right hand, but when my hubby encouraged me to push the left arm up (it hadn't moved at all while I had been moving the right) I answered, I've been trying. He teased that I will have a right arm that looks like Popper the Sailor after he's eaten spinach, in the end.

Did I tell you I actually used a curling iron and wore makeup to dinner, the first time since the strokes? (My mom had used a curling iron on me once, last month for my birthday, but I had never tried myself and hadn't worn makeup since last October.) I only burned myself on one ear and ended up trying to clean up a huge blob of mascara from the tip of my nose, but if felt good to attempt to be spiffed up! It took about 2 hours to get ready and I had my daughter's help, but we managed! I probably looked like a kid who got into Mom's makeup drawer because I know I got way too much eye makeup on and my hair was only about half curled, but at least I did it. :P

Twice this week I've been lightly bumped into, situations that would have made me fall over even a week or two ago. I'm thrilled to say that though I tottered, with the cane I stayed upright!

I've have had a lot of prickliness in both feet and up my left leg, an issue that was mostly resolving, grumpy again since last night, for some reason. My left foot is also significantly more purple than it had been, so I still must not be regulating blood-flow well.

I'll see the ear doctor again tomorrow to see how my ear is healing. It's been a little over 3 weeks since surgery.

I'm waiting for the imaging center to call me to schedule an MRI on my shoulder.
Genesis 48:13
And Joseph took both of them, Ephraim on his right toward Israel’s left hand and Manasseh on his left toward Israel’s right hand, and brought them close to him.
(Verse is personally encouraging to me because the culture most valued the eldest son and yet it was the left hand, that I am lacking and was held in lower regard when giving a blessing, that was placed on his head. God still used even the "weak" hand.)
 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; -
(There, finished the rest of the post, with one hand, in about 2 hours!)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Jenni! I'm encouraged by how you are praising God during this recovery and praying that your recovery will continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 20th anniversary Jenni!! We'll be celebrating our 20th this October! I have missed out on so much of what you've recently been through. You are truly amazing and inspiring - God is using you to bless people all around you. Keep up the good fight as you recover - God will give you strength! Praying for you. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete