Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

"Old"

Even before I turned 40, our 6-year-old had decided I'm officially "old" now and my husband, at 42, is "older than old." I guess I shouldn't be too offended, as he tells his9-year-old sister that she is old too. ;) But seriously, there's nothing like a stroke to make you feel elderly!


Speaking of age, my birthday actually went smoother than I expected! Big praise. Didn't leave town or do anything "big" like I might have dreamed my 40th birthday might be, but it really was nice and maybe I can post pictures sometime (if I can figure out how to get them from my phone to a blog). Thank you for all the prayers and warm wishes, both in the mail and on Facebook!

I was pretty much was back to my cane (after ear surgery) by the weekend and Monday, met my goal of a bit of walking without support on Tuesday, and have been doing a mix of cane walking and independent walking since.

Wednesday my therapist had me start "test driving" a splint for my left leg, to address weakness and instability there. If it works as well as we hope, later in the month I will probably look at a more-fitted long-term option.

On Friday I had my first post-op appointment for my ear. My doctor repeatedly stressed that he had been a LOT of scar tissue he had removed from around my hearing bones, much more than he typically see from ear infections and the like, so the stroke paralysis that put that ear under such intense negative pressure for so long, was indeed evident. Hopefully, this removal will allow me to mark improvement once the middle ear packing (to hopefully prevent new scar tissue) dissolves? He started me on antibiotic ear drops to help aid in healing.  I go back in two weeks and the packing usually takes 6-8 weeks to dissolve, but could take up to 3 months. Only after that will we know more definitively if the surgery helped (and if so, how much), but he is optimistic, based on the amount of repair work he did.

At this point the pain only usually gets intense if my ear is pointed straight down, like trying to sleep on my left side. Of course with a mostly dead and hyper-sensitized left arm and a hurting left shoulder, that isn't too much of an option anyway.

I made dinner on my own, last night, in the oven! Tonight I think we are having popcorn or BP&J - something easy everyone can make for themselves. I'm not ready to try the exhaustion and stress of cooking again yet, but it was a start. :)

I have a lovely new collection of rug burns on my knees and elbows tonight. I usually do therapy in capries or long pants and tend to usually fall to my right when I loose my balance. Tonight I wore shorts and kept falling over to my left, so I kissed the carpet or did pretty hard face plants and knee skinners a few more times than I was prepared for! At least I'm on hands and knees, not at full height a lot, during my exercises.

My OT (occupational therapist) gave me new arm exercises on Wednesday, to help strengthen my shoulder. I cringe with each repetition and am nearly in tears less than half way through the set. Pain is still shooting all the way down and through my wrist an hour later. I think I am going to have to have the shoulder imaged to find out exactly what's going on in there, if it doesn't shape up soon.

My PT (physical therapist) is working hard to battle ongoing balance and dizziness issues and double vision making me very dizzy and usually nauseated any time I try to turn my head or look anywhere besides directly in front of me. This would be another matter of prayer.

My PT wanted me to come in again on Monday, but the time slot was the same as I was already scheduled to start with my new ST (speech therapist) so it wasn't possible this time.

My sister-in-love captured my birthday moon over our house. <3



Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice.  Blessed are all who wait for him! - Isaiah 30:18

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you this morning on my way to work and your post of "I has a sadd". I felt that way this morning. Continuing to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete