Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Shower of Blessing

I took a shower totally on my own last night! No help climbing in, getting out, or using the shower head while in there! I still need to have another adult in the house, in case I fall, but only having my husband or mom within ear-shot, not in the room or shower stall with me, is major progress! Honestly, I didn't think we would ever see this day. I can't tell you how much I have missed, and used to take for granted, the independence of showering on my own.

I still am using an ugly metal and plastic shower seat. My old OT said to consider this a permanent accommodation and try to see sitting for showers as a luxury (think expensive spa get-away), rather than a necessity or safety requirement. I think I might eventually try to invest in something like this teak shower bench, because I think it really might help emotionally, but financially, that is a very low priority right now. Here are other possible options if/when the time is right: Corner Bench, Shower Seat, Arched Shower Stool,  another Corner Design, Rectangular Shower Seat, with Handles, fancy, yet another Corner, simple and elegant.


My left arm is still pretty useless in there, due to both strength and lack of precision in dexterity, as well as the inability to move my shoulder much without pain, but I'm becoming fairly proficient in single-handed shampooing.

I have several friend who have seizures and/or pass out regularly. They are unable to shower without adult assistance, and this is a many-years "normal" in their lives. I have new empathy for them. It has been a long (almost) 10 months to regain this measure of independence, but I am so blessed and thankful!
Do any of the worthless idols of the nations bring rain? Do the skies themselves send down showers? No, it is you, O LORD our God. Therefore our hope is in you, for you are the one who does all this. - Jeremiah 14:22

No comments:

Post a Comment