Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, August 13, 2012

What My Weeks Look Like

I saw both my OT (occupational therapist) and ST (speech therapist) today. There was a scheduling complication, so I don't see my PT (physical therapist) for an unusually long stretch, until Friday morning. Actually I did speak with him briefly this morning when I saw my OT, but not for a focused hour-long appointment.

On Thursday I go in to see my primary care doctor about continued shoulder issues (the OT thinks there may be an issue there) and schedule an MRI to look at the possible need for surgery. Friday afternoon I have my next post-op with the ENT (ear doctor) to see how I'm healing.

Tonight hubby will work on install a new over-the-range microwave as our old one, very inconveniently, decided to die just as I was trying to get into the kitchen more. Wednesday we will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, meeting with a new PT that evening, after hubby gets home from work. Stroke is the hardest thing our marriage has ever endured! God's grace alone brings us to this date together. <3

I am using a cane and walking brace for my ankle. My OT says I should continue with single-handed typing for any kind of legal document or any time speed or accuracy is an issue. Otherwise I am to weight my left arm (helps me feel it more, my brain communicate with it, and reduces some uncontrolable movements) and forse movement out of my left hand and try to type with both hands no matter how slow and tedious or inaccurate. (Spellcheck and backspace are really my friends!) We may be modifying the keyboard by textturizing ssome keys soon.

This blog is therapy in and of itself, but I might not be posting as long or as often for a while, due to shoulder pain when I try to type with both hands.

Off to drink my applesauce with a straw now. (Speech therapy to strengtthen facial muscles.)
“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10 NIV

5 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, Jenny and Rick! Thank you for updating, Jenny, you are such an example of strength and tenacity. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) (Not too amazing not to cheat a type this reply with one hand. ;) )

      Delete
  2. Sweet Jenni,

    I think of you & pray for you often. Congratulations on 20 years! (I'm 5 years behind you)

    (((hugs)))
    julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayer. God's blessing on your years as well!

      Delete
  3. Love you and so proud of you, friend.

    ReplyDelete