Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

News

I got the preliminary report back from my MRI (more official word on Monday or Tuesday of next week) today. There doesn't seem to bear a significant tear anywhere, just fluid build-up and tendonitis. (Apparently, some possible tiny tears, just not through all the layers.) If I understand the report properly (?) the shoulder is still "moderately" sublexed, or at least dropped or sloped to the left. It makes me wonder, if this is moderate, what was it before when it was so visibly and obviously lower than the right side?  The good news is at least I know I am not continuing to aggravate a rip with exercise. Also it doesn't sound like this will need any kind of surgery!

The bad news is that since it can't be surgically addressed, this might be a long-term pain issue and I think I still need to (am blessed to be able to) push past the pain and work on strengthening the arm and shoulder in therapy anyway.  I am glad to no longer feel hesitant to push it, as I have been trying to use my arm left arm less and less, due to concern over what might be happening internally. It needs to stay active if I ever hope to recover more or keep from loosing what little I have!

I just started a low-carb, non-dairy diet. I don't have to count anything (carbohydrates, calories, etc.) and am to drink lots of water, eat lean protein, and eat all the fresh fruits and veggies I want. By default, the diet is low in salt, sugar and pretty much any processed food as well. While it will be limiting, I think it is more cut and dry (easier) than many of the other diets I've read, where you are allowed certain vegetables, but not others, for instance.

My goal is to loose 30-40 pounds in a year, since that's about what I've unintentionally gained since coming home from the hospital. We will see how that goes! I can"cheat" two days per week and I have a variance to keep drinking my daily 4 ounces of pudding (through a straw, to strengthen facial muscles) each day. In 36 hour I have already lost 1-3 pounds (depending on how you count starting weight). From my very highest, a week ago, I am down about 9 pounds. However you count it, it is such a blessing to see those numbers not continuing to climb, as they continually have for so many months.


I tried a senior fitness class today (on the advice of my physical therapist who can't see me as often as we would like, due to insurance limitations) that I do on an altered and very limited level, primarily seated even when others are standing. Today the regular teacher was out and a Zumba instructor was substituting. Even though she did a ver scaled-back, low-impact Zumba class, I had to leave after 20 minutes. I couldn't even keep up with half of the foot moves or most of the arm movements from my chair! We (my mom and I) hope to try water stretching, on our own, tomorrow.

Totally non-stroke related, but I'm too excited not to share. I was just notified that Hannah's Hope was recently contracted to be translated and published in the Czech Republic! This should happen by or before the end of next September (2013)! Please join me in prayer for the hurting hearts God wants to touch through this translation. I am so excited! It is wonderful to have something so good to focus my thoughts on today! I'm over half way through with the manuscript for my fruit of the Spirit book and hope to present it to a publisher for consideration by early next year as well. Prayers appreciated.
Psalm 18:1-2
I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

2 comments:

  1. Praise God for the news about Hannah's Hope in Czech. Republic! I know, with God - all things are possible..where this can/cannot be surgically repaired, God is our perfect surgeon. I wanted to share this with you...to encourage you. My eldest brother was born with a cleft lip/palate. The surgeon had to repair the palate by rejoining it together and using other parts of his body. The surgeon told my parents it probably would NOT knit....But my parents and the whole church trusted God and prayed for this surgery. Dad was on his way to the hospital to visit my brother, and as he was climbing the stairs, the surgeon was coming the other way and stopped him. His face was lit up with amazement and he stopped dad and said, 'I can't explain this, but the surgery was a success - it has mended together so perfectly...." "I can explain it," replied my dad.."God answered our prayers". I have never forgotten that story. My brother speaks perfectly today and praises God! I just wanted to share that with you, Jen. Still praying...Stef

    ReplyDelete