Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Snapshot of a Week

Written Thursday, updated Sunday morning:
The fact that you are reading this means I have internet access again. It went down Thursday night and I have felt so cut off from the world! Pathetic that so much of my life is lived online. The good thing to come from this forced fast has been that I have gotten a lot of writing done as a result. I had been thinking I might start query publisher for my next book, early next year. I am now thinking there is a glimmer of possibility that I could start submitting a finished manuscript before the year is over now!



Kendra and I have talked about how my are both less filtered and much more compulsive now, especially when it comes to shopping. (Don't let me loose with a computer mouse, keyboard, and your credit card!) I like her take on the subject - more decisive now. That sounds better. Odd little tid-bit about rationality changes brought about by strokes.



I got a call from a nurse. She was trying to recruit me for a drug study on strokes. (Of course, being decisive, I agreed to the screening.) It is already an FDA approved drug, just currently labeled to treat something else. We are one of the final legs of the study to get it approved specifically for stroke. Anyway, one of the qualifications is that your strokes had to be recent, but at least six months ago or more. She commented that your stroke had to be at lease six months ago because, without this medication, they do not really expect to see much improvement after six months. I know this not to be true, because I started walking again (with a cane) well after the six month mark, but it was still discouraging to hear that significant improvements aren't expected in me, any longer. I felt like crying again.



I also found out, last week, at that my PT (who is wonderful) just was promoted to a different facility. It is great for him, but so sad for me that he won't be overseeing my therapy any more. One more loss to grieve...



The exciting news is the new lady who will be taking over my physical therapy training is an old room-mate and best friend of my sister-in-law's little sister (if I understand correctly). My brother-in-law and his wife (or the sister) don't even live in the same area or state as we do. The therapist just recognized my last name, because it is so unusual, and asked if I knew or happened to be related to a guy who turns out to be my husband's brother! Small world!!!



It was also neat when I did stair climbing today and my PT exclaimed, "Holy Cow!" because he was pleased with my progress in a month's time.



In OT, on Thursday, we measured hand strength again. For a woman my age I should have a grasp of about 58 (pounds?) in my dominant hand (right) and 52 or 53 in my non-dominat (left) hand. At today's tests I was at 60 and 62 grasp strength with my right hand (still, above "normal" but down from 65 in July and 70 earlier in the Spring) and only 19 and 16 in the left (down from low 20s in July, but up from 15 this past Spring and 5, 6, or 11(?) in the rehab hospital). This was discouraging (and frankly, quite confusing) on both counts, because I have been so faithful in doing strengthen exercise. This far out from my strokes, I hoped to have regained more use of my hands by now!



I signed a copy of Hannah's Hope yesterday, and other than originally dating it "2011" and mis-correcting it (when my mom pointed out the mistake) to "2021," my actual signature looked closer to my old signature than any I have written so far. I still have a very hard time writing a "3" and to a lesser extent, “8” (OK, any letter or number, but those are my most troublesome) and I am still far from where I used to be, but after just seeing something I tried to write around 5 1/2 months, I've come a long way!



Kendra and I have decided that we are both making it our goal that some day we will plan to get together in person. I have no idea how or when, but we so want to make this happen! It would be nice if it could be sooner, rather than later, but at least for now it is a goal for someday in the future. :)

It's a long week ahead. On Monday I see the neuro-othomologist again (2-5 hours). On TuesdayI am to take a test ride on the county's special needs transit system and go down to a screening facility to an hour-long evaluation interview, before riding the bus back home. (The bus is scheduled for nearly an hour an a half before I need to be there, and leaving for home, nearly an hour after my appointment, so it will take most of the mid-section of our day.) If you hear me reference this program in the future, it is called ACCESS. If I let myself think on this one very long, I get totally nervous and freaked out! On Wednesday or Thursday, I guess it is back to the gym to catch up on therapy. My mom also has to take my dad to the regular ophthalmologist on Wednesday, to talk about his upcoming surgery. On Thursday afternoon, there is homeschool co-op, then that medical study screening down town. I don't think we have anything scheduled for Friday, yet, so probably the gym again. Sometime in all this, we have a school week to accomplish.

Oh, and I need to make a couple of business phone calls this week too. Have I mentioned how much I HATE talking on the phone with both speech and hearing impairments? That's almost the worst anticipated part of the whole week, though it will really take the least time, once I convince myself to get it done. I also have to find a very quiet 15 minutes, twice per day, to work on my speech therapy listening program. And there are all my daily therapies to do (about an hour per day). Whew!

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:34

1 comment:

  1. You can do it Jenni! Love the verse you put at the end!
    Lisa Borba

    ReplyDelete