Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

13 months

I have a cold. Not a big deal, right?

Since I had private rooms most of my two months of hospital stays, thanks to an antibiotic-resistant infection that still wasn't clear (according to my medical records) 6 months ago when I went back to the hospital for one of my surgeries, and I'm already having issues with my throat (breathing, swallowing) under every day circumstances, I feel entitled to whine over this current concern a bit.

If I don't wake up feeling ready to return to water therapy in the morning (it's been 2 weeks since I've gone, because all three kids past around the cold virus part, then my mom got it and it went bacterial on her, so she is on antibiotics), I'm calling the doctor. As my stroke friends and I are discovering, there is rarely anything "simple" in stroke recovery. Even if it is just a "normal" cold, it could potentially become very dangerous and/or take a much longer time to recover from, for me.

So, in case you don't hear from me a bit, that is what is going on here.

I think I had another reason for deciding I should post tonight, but I have no idea what I was going to tell you now. I guess one good thing is, for the first time since the stroke, I made it through most of the day before I even realized this date was another "anniversary!"

Racking my brain, the only other fleeting observation that might be interesting enough to post is that I still read slower than my 6 year old can (though reading speed has slowly improved a bit) but my short term memory seems to be improving a bit too. Until recently, I could remember most longer-term things (like childhood or Rick's and my dating days or early years of marriage), but not a conversation I had a week ago. A while (couple months maybe? - whenever I started seeing my counselor) ago, I realized that I was finally able to recall things as recently as three days back.

Last night, I could recall a portion of a conversation from 5 minutes earlier, but still not the things just said, or when I'm counting off therapy exercises, I count 8, 9, then in the span of time I've counted 9 numbers, I can't remember which ten-count I'm in, so I don't know if I should count "30," "40," or "70" when I get to the end of that 10-count. I figure the advantage of this is that I always default to the lowest count I think I may possibly be, so I probably end up doing an extra 10, 20, 30 or more repetitions of exercise this way. :) That may just about evens out for the times I might unintentionally skip 10 or more repetitions in a block.

I'm still blogging daily (so far, even while I'm sick) over at InfertilityMom. While there are some bits about infertility, loss, and chronic illness, much has been about the strokes. I am surprising even myself with the memories and details I have been posting over there, this month! Here's today's post.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I find myself doing my times tables in my mind to help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got so silly I forgot to add that I am so sorry you are sick. That is a real bummer. And to top it all off, your throat is still sore. That's a big bummer.

    ReplyDelete