Starting October 25 of 2011, "InfertilityMom," 39-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder of Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes, all due to vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office. The largest two strokes were brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly Christmas and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care (please read more and watch short video). Jenni is now walking (with a cane or wheeled walker), has recovered much eye-sight, some hearing, partial use of her hands, cares for most of her own personal/toiletry needs, and is currently writing three books, maintains multiple blogs, and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Near the five-year recovery mark, Jenni has renewed her pre-stroke excitement about the unique Lilla Rose hair Flexi eight jewelry she sells and has finally regained enough hand/arm function to regularly use! (The biggest ongoing losses at the 4 1/2-year point of recovery are left-side nerve pain, inability to drive, loss of homeschool teaching capability, significant sound processing issues (often triggering nausea), and some profound physical ability limitations such as a limp, balance challenges, clumsy use of right hand and only large motor function in left hand.) Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equipts you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Jenni is clinging to God's grace through the entire experience. Here is her unfolding story, documented in her own words (typing with only her right hand), as she perceives it happening in real time, messy, honest and to the glory of God...

Friday, December 21, 2012

End of the World

I took probably my hardest fall yet, about an hour ago. :( Nothing broken, but I'm fairly jarred and my confidence sure took a hard blow. I expect to have a few bruises from this one. I was trying to step over a short laundry pile and my foot came down on the linoleum, but must have caught the very edge of a piece of laundry, because I slid, both feet shot out from under me and I came down hard on my tail bone. Fortunately, I don't think my body twisted at all, so no weird muscle pulls that way. Also, when I sat down  so hard, I plopped right onto the padding of the laundry pile, so that padded what otherwise might have much more injuring. My right elbow feels rather raw (though it doesn't look skinned as far as I can tell) and my left side feels pretty jolted, so my shoulder, jaw, hip, and foot are all pretty grumpy right now, even my ear, just from the hard jolt, I guess. I'm praising God for His protection that we aren't fitting another ER trip into our morning!

Yesterday, I had a big day. I went to an hour of occupational therapy, immediately followed by an hour of physical therapy today. (Tuesday, I didn't think I would be able to go because my cold was still so bad, but thing started finally noticeably improving yesterday, so it just feel pretty much like a plain cold now.)

The PT gal, it is only my 3rd time seeing her, works me HARD. Sweet gal (actually mt sister-in-law's sister's best friend!) but did she ever take me seriously when I told her that even though I was out of the traditional recovery window, I didn't want to back off of progress now. She works me harder than any therapist I have had since I was discharged from the hospital (and I though some of them were pretty hard).

After those two therapies I had an hour break where Rick surprised me by meeting for a quick lunch (I was SWEATY and stinky after therapy), then I had an hour of counseling. It is always a good hour an very helpful, but emotionally draining too.

I came home, took a shower (there was a time when a shower on my own wasn't even doable, and usually it about takes all my energy for the day, so this was quite a feat to do in conjunction with such a big day!), then pulled the chicken Kathy had going for me back out of the oven, coated it in Italian dressing,and stck it back into the oven to crisp up.

Probably the most exciting thing that happened yesterday was that my hair is finally long enough to brush the front back and get it into a small barrette. I have only been able to even tuck it behind my ears for a month or so (if I had it trimmed up, I probably wouldn't be able to do that at all), but not all gathered back to clip yet.

What was even more thrilling is that I was able to put the clip in myself, holding the clump of hair with my left (!) hand, and snapping the clip closed with my right. It wasn't as smooth as I wanted, even after a few attempts, but even a week ago, I couldn't get my hair even presentable enough to go out in public, in this style, by myself! It was a disaster by the time physical therapy was over and I couldn't get it back fixed again (why I knew I had to take a shower), but it was an exciting start!

Our oldest son becomes a teenager tomorrow. Is that why they say the world is going to come to an end today? ;)
“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.
- Matthew 24:36-44


1 comment:

  1. You fell!? I'm so glad you are ok. Boy do I know how you feel though.

    As for the teenager thing, I can't believe it. I am so holding onto my oldest. I don't want her to grow up. I can't believe our babies are so big already. The days are slow but the years seem to fly.

    ReplyDelete