Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, February 25, 2013

16 Months

At this time, 16 months ago, I was busy making phone calls to find a doctor. The decision I made that morning would end up impacting my life forever. Sometimes I get so mad at myself for the life-shattering choice I made, but I had no way of knowing. The doctor's words to me immediately before the stroke were "trust me" and so I did. I'm still working on resolving trust issues. Ironically, I had just written these thoughts that morning, while awaiting the appointment that would land me in an ambulance in about two more hours. (It is from these very thoughts, this board has grown on Pintrest.)

I know I usually spend my monthly updates giving you a rundown of ears, eyes, neck/shoulder/jaw, walking, pain levels, etc. Today, I just don't have it in me. If you want to know all that, I'm afraid you will have to go searching through this last month's posts. I'm feeling rather drained these days. I know I have so very much to be thankful for. I can't focus on that if I'm recounting to you all the areas where I'm still struggling. I just don't have the mental reserves to do both.

Sixteen months ago I should have died, came very close to doing so. Today I'm fighting for my spirit to embrace life, find beauty in living again (to offset a bit of the homesickness). I won't lie. It is very much a struggle, but I am trying!


I know it isn't the usual, but I thought today I would share a few more of my favorite Pintrest boards, because they focus on calmness and embracing the beauty my sole is striving to recapture:

Dream Gardens
Cats, Bears and Other Cute Critters
Paths (one of my very favorite collections - can you suggest a better name?)
Coming Up Roses
I <3 Hats (my just for fun area)
Purpose
Inspiring Folks
Wheels (I can't even ride a bike anymore, but think they have such romantic form.)
This is far from an exhaustive list of all of my boards, but a highlight of a few favorites. :)

And not a "favorite," but one that may interest you:
My Strokes

Anyone know how to add buttons to my blog, like those little link buttons to Facebook, Pintrest, Twitter, etc?
I do want to point out, friends, that time is of the essence. There is no time to waste, so don’t complicate your lives unnecessarily. Keep it simple—in marriage, grief, joy, whatever. Even in ordinary things—your daily routines of shopping, and so on. Deal as sparingly as possible with the things the world thrusts on you. This world as you see it is on its way out. - 1 Corinthians 7:29-31 (The Message)

2 comments:

  1. In a small way I can understand this. I feel like I've been down the Rabbit Hole with Alice for 2+ years. Now that I'm back in real life and actually taking part a little more, getting my life and hopefully my health back to a good extent I'm asking myself a lot of questions -- Who Am I now? How will my relationships with people be changed? My priorities have definitely changed. I start each thing I need to do with trepidation...will I make it through this without some repercussion -- shopping, doing a workout to try to rehab some, clean a room etc. I also ask myself how I was able to keep up some things like working (as much as I did), keeping in touch with friends and family, making sure our bills got paid. I have an answer to this one -- ONLY by the GRACE of GOD.

    ReplyDelete