Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, March 25, 2013

17 Months

My next monthly post will be a year and a half already! Unbelievable! I remember in the earliest weeks, or even first few months after the stroke, hearing of someone already 6 month into recovery, a year, three years, and thinking I couldn't even comprehend getting there. The day stretched SO LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG and were so terribly tedious.


I've been thinking about some of the positive "little detail" changes in my life over the past year. It wasn't so long ago when I simply couldn't carry a purse. Now that I am working on holding my cane with my left arm, my right arm is free to tote a purse (something the left seems now strong enough to do as well, but I am finding to be very painful to attempt).

I'm still needing to sit for at least a portion /the majority of each of my showers. (I had tried two or three successfully, standing, so it is possible, but I just don't have the stamina nor stability to do it safely, on a regular basis.) But realizing that this week last year, I was barely taking showers alone at all, still needing supervision close by the stall, we've come a long way!!!


Today I had a six-hour test with my endocrinologist (we have been told insurance will pick up all but a few hundred dollars of the needed testing - praise the Lord!) and made some more progress with my next book (though much of it was finishing up a couple sections I had thought I had already finished but I had not). It took nearly an hour (and multiple pokes) to get my first blood draw, but thankfully only one poke (10 or 15 minutes from start to finish) for the final draw. By the time all was said and done I was gone from home about 8 hours and was fasting for nearly 19, so I was seeing spots by the time I got to eat again. Glad that test is over with and I pray it gives us some useful information!

I do have one funny story I have to share with you, about last Thursday night or Friday morning. I woke up sometime in the wee hours of the morning and tried to scoot close to my husband to snuggle. Mind you, I'm still rather uncoordinated with my muscle movements, so I scooted over and started to get peacefully settled back in only to hear my husband's muffled voice protesting, "You are kind of squishing my head!" Turns out, in the dark and will my inaccurate targeting skills, I had put my pillow right over his face and was resting the whole weight of my head right on his own.

As soon as I realized what I had done, I snatched my pillow off his face in horror, then tried again to snuggle, this time head-butting him in the process! His reply? "That feels better." Because of the BPA, while I didn't find the situation at all humorous, I laughed off and on for the next 15 minutes. I would just about be relaxed back into sleep and another giggling fit would jolt us both awake. :( Now, I do find it all rather humorous and I still can't tell the story, or even thing about it, without breaking into fit of body-shaking, uncontrollable laughter, as I have several time through the typing here. My family has pretty well figured out that when I just start randomly laughing and they ask me why, I will probably respond with, "That feels better!" My poor husband. It is a miracle he has survived all the physical trauma my strokes have caused him over these past 17 months!

I haven't posted this for several months, so I share again, if you are on Facebook, you can find these updates by "liking" my page at facebook.com/pages/Stroke-of-Grace-by-Jennifer-Saake/339888582731687 . If you don't do Facebook (or even if you do use this tool but don't want to join my page there) I would encourage you to "follow" me on the right sidebar here at strokeofgrace.blogspot.com, where it says, "Join this site", in the blue box. I am hoping  publishers will be happy with numbers when I eventually query to publish this book (my stroke story)! ;) You might also enjoy my Pinterest boards at pinterest.com/infertilitymom or my stroke board and Heaven reflections there. Thank you for your help and amazing support.


Here's my new Stroke of Grace "button" my oldest son taught me how to design this weekend. (I need to give our 10-year-old daughter credit too, as she had done a great job showing me how to use the "Paint" program weeks ago, but I just couldn't quite figure out what she was explaining in that lesson.) So I figured out (thanks to their instruction!) how to do one of the things I had asked if anyone knew how to help me do. Not bad for someone who is brain damaged and "should" be dead! ;) Feel free to download this button on your computer (for PCs, you right click your mouse over the image and select "save as" then add it to your picture or downloads folder or wherever else you want it) and help me out by sharing it anywhere you can think to post the link. :)


Psalm 42:7-8 I hear the tumult of the raging seas as your waves and surging tides sweep over me. But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life.

3 comments:

  1. Love you :) Your so strong and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have come amazingly far...an inspiration that one day I will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni, You're a daily encouragement and I'm so thankful for your progress and friendship.

    ReplyDelete