Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Glimpses and Glimmers

You know you have become a Pintrest addict when...
...you see an add on t.v. (I don't get out much, other than to doctors and various therapy, so t.v. is my primary window to the world) and think to yourself, "That is such a beautiful picture. I should pin it right away!" :)

This is kind of like (a question I answered on Facebook yesterday), you know you home school when...
...your husband hesitates to eat anything out of your fridge without first checking to make sure it isn't a science experiment. True story! :D


God works in surprising ways sometimes. I have felt (and even mentioned here a few times) for more than a year, clear back to some of my earliest memories in the hospital, actually, that God was allowing this story to unfold, not only to His praise and prayerfully, to His great glory as well, but to birth some kind of ministry, maybe something along the lines of Joni Eareckson Tada. One of the first statements I remember striving to comfort my own grieving family with, was, "God has a plan!"
 
I am already seeing a glimmer of this ministry unfolding in this very blog, but I really believe His plan is so very much bigger. I think it includes a book and probably a public speaking outreach. It is about this last idea I have been specifically praying lately, that if God wanted me to share my story, that He would begin opening doors in that vein.


Out of the blue, I have received an invitation to travel half way across the country, next year, to speak at an infertility conference. Honestly, everything humanly speaking screams that even the consideration of this possibility is an impossible idea (including the 45 minutes I spent today at therapy, starting to hash out my new fear of heights since the strokes so terribly messed up my equilibrium and now leave me terrified at the thought of flying), but God says He will supply the strength for anything He calls me to.

I really have no idea if this is a direction I am supposed to pursue, or simply God asking my willingness to go where He sends? The conference is totally in God's hands. I can't do anything to hurry up the decision (we are taking the month of March to pray through our answer), only God know His plan and the final outcome here. From the physical standpoint this is such a ridiculous consideration, that there is no doubt that God would be working here, not me, if everyone come to the conclusion that I should go. His strength alone! 

However He leads and impresses the hearts of the conference planners (they would have to figure quite a bit more than planned to help meet my current limitations and needs, including transportation costs for my mom to travel with me as a care-giver) and my husband, that will be the direction we move. At first it felt kind of helpless, having the situation totally out of my hands, but there is a unique peace and freedom in this too. Isn't that how we really should relate to doors God is leading us to investigate anyway?

I didn't think God would call me to start speaking at all, until my stroke book was finished and published. When I started speaking, I expected the focus would be on the strokes. Either of these presumption may (or may not) be true. But praying about speaking, I can't then refuse to pray about this newest possibility. Would you please join with us in praying for peace and wisdom as you consider this specific (and any other God bring along) invitation. Thanks!


On a totally different topic, I have come to the conclusion that weight management is a luxury only afforded by the healthy. Almost everyone I know living with any chronic health condition, struggles with being (often severely) overweight or underweight. After more than six months of spending hours per week (plus regular therapy) at the gym, I am exactly one pound lower than when I started! Unless I am able to pursue my endocrinological testing and find any help from treatment there, I am about to give up as far as weight control is concerned. It just drains too much energy to give this issue my focus. When there are so many other appointments and concerns to attend to, this single issue is taking up too much of my mental real estate and causing too much stress right now. Yes, my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and from that perspective, I will keep fighting to strength my body and keep it healthy (eating choices, etc.) in honor to God. I just am not willing to keep bending over to try to do something that my body seems incapable of doing!


2 Samuel 22:29-31
Suddenly, God, your light floods my path, God drives out the darkness... What a God! His road stretches straight and smooth. Every God-direction is road-tested. Everyone who runs toward him Makes it.


2 comments:

  1. Weight is an issue here too...but I am so hungry. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni,
    Of course I will pray for your potential speaking engagement. I need to lose 30lbs. I'd be content with 20lbs. Lately, the Lord had been working with me to be content with the body I have. I still have to wear loose fitting clothes around the middle due to my surgery, so I'm looking at empire waist lines. If this latest round of treatment does not work to get my hormones balanced and start losing weight and have decreased pain in my shoulders and arms by the end of May, please pray with me that my PCP will be open to sending me to an endocrinologist and neurologist.
    You're in my thoughts and prayers. Love Ya, sis.

    ReplyDelete