Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

20 Months

It's a week of "graduations" for me!

Yesterday was my last scheduled appointment with R, my wonderful Speech Therapist. Hopefully I will soon be receiving the desired referral to the local university's voice program, but it is sad (and amazing and exciting and a little overwhelming) to think that more than a year and a half of ST is over!

Tomorrow is my last (currently) planned PT day, specifically tied to the strokes. My physical therapist thinks I could benefit from ongoing therapy, but we also wants to save some insurance coverage for the future, in case I were to need additional rehab in the face of another surgery or injury or anything like that, especially given my added stroke-related potential struggles. So we have spent the last several sessions intensively drilling things I can work on at home without her regular and ongoing coaching. Recovery, therapy, is far from over, will be a lifetime pursuit, no doubt, but scheduled PT sessions with a therapist are coming to an end for now.

For the first couple months these were daily therapies. When I came home, still 3 or 4 times a week. Still at least weekly long after that. The last few months, formal PT has been at once every other week (with daily gym or home therapy work-outs in between) and ST had tapered down to just once a month. After having this be so much a part of my new, post-stroke life, it feels a little intimidating, and a whole lot freeing, to be closing these chapters of my life this week! I had wondered if or when this might ever come about!!! I expected to be nothing but beyond thrilled, and I am so very happy and thankful. I am surprised to also be processing a bit of panic and abandonment emotions. Odd! (But then again, what about this journey isn't odd?)

How I thought I would feel!
How I find myself surprised to actually be feeling, as well. Both pictures via Facebook.
Therapy/counseling continues on a weekly basis. There is SO MUCH to be addressed there, I don't know that I will be ready to see those appointments begin to dwindle in frequency for a very long time yet to come!

If you have a Facebook account, could you please do me a huge favor??? I am trying to win a Luminosity membership (brain training) and have entered their "6 word story" contest, describing my own brain. If you would please go to https://apps.facebook.com/sixwordstory/entry/2847716 and vote for me (you can vote again, once every 24 hours), I would so appreciate this moment of your time!!

From Facebook

3 comments:

  1. No more therapy....that is nothing short of amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally amazing! I have an amazing God and an amazing daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you. I voted for you on facebook.

    ReplyDelete