Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Get Out there!

I recently wrote a note to a new stroke friend who is still in the moment-by-moment, floundering-just-to-keep-head-above-water stage. I was shocked to see my own response, but please and excited to, because you know my ongoing prayer struggle for joy restoration!

I wrote, "I hate that you are facing this, but so don't think you are "paying the fiddler." Life is... I'm thankful you got to enjoy your time, pre-stoke. I totally hated when people said this to me, and from my darkness, totally didn't believe it could even possibly be true, but eventually the frantic "survival" is replaced with actual "living" again and joy in the new normal can return. {hug}"

I'm still at the just-starting-to-see-glimmers-of-joy-returning point, but I am finding a bit of the joyful hope that comes after the grit-your-teeth determined decision to trust God even when there is no logical, readily-apparent reason. I guess you could say, faith (the evidence of things not seen) in real life action?

Speaking of writing to new friends, while I occasionally slip and use the terms "us" or "we" here (because this God thing is so much bigger than me and it seems like I should be part of a whole organization here), in reality, for the physical labors, Stroke of Grace is just little ol' stroke-recovering, many deficits, ME and there is no possible way I can spread myself thinly enough to even begin to meet all needs at my doorstep. I am so thankful He is blessing me with this task, this focus, this area of purpose, but I know I can't do it all. 

So, this week, I'm launching a StrokiePals (email pen pals) program and would greatly encourage you to find one other person, or a small handful of other stroke survivors, you can connect with on a personal level. Choose from the story/stories posted there and contact new friends directly or submit your own information if you would like to be contacted. :)

(While applicable to Strokies getting out there and making friends when I'm too overwhelmed to keep up, today's verse is especially for everyone else. While you are able-bodied, don't take the blessing for granted! Do something with that gift!!!) 

From Facebook
In light of all this, here’s what I want you to do. While I’m locked up here, a prisoner for the Master, I want you to get out there and walk—better yet, run!—on the road God called you to travel. I don’t want any of you sitting around on your hands. I don’t want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes nowhere. And mark that you do this with humility and discipline—not in fits and starts, but steadily, pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences. Ephesians 4:1-3 The Message

1 comment: