Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Perspective

From Facebook
Today's question from my stroke group was, "What did you do for work before stroke? Are you able to work now?" My answer is Wife, Mommy, homemaker, homeschool teacher, author. Thankfully still a wife (though I was doubtful many times that first year!) and Mommy (it took 8 months for our kids to get to move back home, but they have been home for over a year now), but I still need lots of help managing our home, my kids are now in traditional classrooms, and I'm trying to write books again but my 5th grade just got a 70% on an English assignment I helped her with (she usually gets straight As without my "help") so we'll see how that goes.

Facebook
On Saturday afternoon I wrote, "Waiting for a friend from out of state to show up for a visit. I haven't seen her since before my strokes. I'm sure we will have a great time, but I'm rather nervous!" After a wonderful, too fast, 6 or 7 hours together, the next day I wrote, "It went well. We went out for "coffee" and ended up grabbing both dinner and desert... She's a nurse so wanted to hear all the details. Through her eyes I could better see how very much I've lost, but also how very miraculously far I've come."

Facebook

Early last year, I wrote about how very slowly time was dragging and how I wondered if things would go differently once the kids came back home. Finally, this week, I heard myself saying, "I can't believe it is nearly October already!"

Facebook

It took nearly two years to feel like time was moving normally again, but this is one area where my perspective is pretty normalized again. Maybe not "normal" in that, if anything, time feels like it is speedy by too quickly now, but this is so much better than the snail crawl I felt locked in for so very long!
Facebook
 
For those following my VERY SLOW and incredibly hard fought weight loss efforts, I am now down a total of 19 pounds from my very highest post-stroke weight, still about 20 pounds to go to get back to the weight I had fought my way down to prior to the strokes, the weight I was the day I first entered the hospital. Of course, I lost another 15-20 during my nearly two months there, then was unhealthfully too thin, but I would very much like to get back where I started almost two years ago! I am back into size large clothes again, but not mediums for a while yet! It has been a wild ride, fitting (swimming) in everything from extra smalls to (squeezing) into extra larges, all within about a year and a half! Glad that, right now, the scale seems to be concistantly crawing in the right direction!
 
Facebook
 

Quote: Learning to live with upside-down situations isn't easy, but it is part of life. - Barbara Johnson

Facebook
Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to him for protection. - Proverbs 30:5, NLT
 
 
Facebook

1 comment:

  1. As you know, we have the same weight struggles. I'm with ya! This diet really does seem to be working despite my lack of exercise.

    ReplyDelete