Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Goal

I shared the details of my story on my two year stroke-a-versary, but since that posy was SO long, here's the fifth section (out of 8 sections) of the main body of the post, for your easier reference. If anything here confuses you or you want more information, please remember to visit the original post for full context! http://strokeofgrace.blogspot.com/2013/10/2-years-rest-of-story.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



5.
Desired Results

I had never heard the term "chiropractic stroke" before I got to the hospital and had no idea that there was any kind of risk associated with upper neck adjustment. We found out, only after the fact, that informed consent is required in 40 out of 50 states in America. (This from some information my husband read while I was still in the hospital. If anyone can locate a supporting link, please let me know.) Nevada is not one of them. :( One thing I would like to see come out of my story, is for Nevada to establish the need for informed consent and awareness of risk before a chiropractor is allowed to attempt any cervical spinal adjustments.

 

 

 
Do I honestly think such information would have done much to change my mind before I underwent this procedure? Honestly, maybe not. Human nature is to tend to think, "The odds are so low. Surely this won't happen to me!" And how often do doctors shove paperwork at you and says, "It is not likely to happen, but you need to be aware that all these complications, and even death, are potential outcomes of the surgery you are about to undergo. Please sign here that you understand the risk."
 
Facebook

That's probably about all an informed consent law would even accomplish, realistically. But talk to almost any radiologist or neurologist out there and you will hear similar horror stories of ruined lives, so I hope you find my own information to be persuasively informative enough that you will at least think twice about letting anyone twist your own neck! Had I know of the potential risk, it might or might not have changed my mind, but at least I would have gone into it knowing of the possibility and the hospital might have known more of the potential of what they were treating, rather than making it such a low initial consideration because I was "too young" and not in the typical stroke age range (something that is a misnomer anyway as, while it is most common to have strokes in the population over 65 years of age, there are vast numbers of people of ALL ages who stroke every day!).

Facebook 

If you would like to read more of my story, please select from Basics and Why I've Not Shared Before and Story Details, Medical Expectations, Manipulation Mechanics, Legal, Reflections on Forgiveness, or My Victory Declaration. Thank you for walking a little piece of this journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment