Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Friday, November 15, 2013

The Tape IS Funny!

If the title of this post confuses you, it's because I used to laugh so hard at the therapy measurement marks on the floor with masking tape, that I often had to stop therapy and catch my breath before I could continue.

This clip (be sure your volume is turned on!) reminds me of learning and trying pretty much anything new (or new again). Ask my therapists and they will confirm that my laughter was usually loud, contagious and pretty constant during therapy! I've always thought of it as a sign of stress and inability to properly express my emotions (PBA again), and I certainly still think this was primarily why I reacted this way, but after seeing this video, I think there can/should often be pure delight just in the trying!

 
A friend's (who is in labor as I post, please pray for this multiple previous loss Mommy and her son with known heart defects!) hysterical pregnancy shots. Since it is likely to start snowing here this afternoon, it seemed like a good time to share. :)
 
 
Or what about this one. Maybe a way we could help out our guys this winter, Kendra? ;)


Tuesday afternoon I tried, not expecting anything to happen, and I could snap the fingers on my left hand for the first time in over two years, and loud enough to even hear a snap! Totally exciting surprise! Joy. :)


I'll also be posting about how I adapted a standard kitchen tool to meet my occupational needs, once I hear about how the idea works for a friend. But let me give you a spoiler and say that I managed to cut three bites of my own pork steak on Rick's birthday last week. Another post-stroke first!


My kidney update is that Rick and I talked this morning and are not going to try beer or any other natural ideas that kind folks are sending (I have lots of helpful ideas in my PM box, all different from one another, of course) because we have the added medical issue of internal stroke paralysis (estuation tube of my ear, causing deafness, intestines have required much help, especially the first year!, etc.) so we suspect the ureter may also be compromised and needs ongoing medical supervision.

Of course, the kidney stone is in my most profoundly stroked side! (Weird side note, I would swear it is on the right side as that's where I primarily and most severely feel it when it does flair up. My doctor is rather fascinated by the referred pain because he can thump on my left kidney that has such strange perception of feeling and make me flinch on the right side instead. Another odd gift of stroke deficits and the messed up signals between my body and brain, apparently.) 

So. presuming I stay out of the emergency room between now and then, I get an x-ray again on the 25th, see the doctor again on the 27th of this month, and we go from there. My Urologist says if there is still no major movement of the stone by then, he will give me up to 3 more weeks to try to pass it on my own, then he will step in and do surgery if I haven't been able to pass it yet. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. (As I'm pretty sure nothing exciting is happening now as the kidneys likely want to get smack damp in the middle of holiday celebration!).

I had a lot of blood in my urine and some back/abdominal pain not quite 2 weeks ago. Doctors started me on antibiotics (take my last tonight!) and while I've had some discomfort and a few bad days, generally the past week hasn't been bad at all, mostly just utter exhaustion, but little to no overall pain and a few sudden twinges that are more noticeable but typically quite short-lived. In fact, if it weren't for the ongoing discolored urine and sometimes not being able to establish flow at all, I would say the issue is pretty much resolved. But with a 4mm stone we know to be lodged in there and the ongoing urinary symptoms, it can't be ignored indefinitely. I'm hopeful that my appetite improves after finishing the antibiotics because I'm often nauseated and am eating next to nothing for nearly two weeks now (but have not lost ANY weight, go figure!).

I still have trouble actually turning myself around and would fall on my face if I tried to put a hand or foot "in" but this sign totally makes me giggle!




Today's verse:
Today's verse.
 

1 comment:

  1. That picture really made me giggle! I sure do wish that kidney nonsense would resolve itself!

    ReplyDelete