Starting October 25 of 2011, "InfertilityMom," 39-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder of Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes, all due to vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office. The largest two strokes were brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly Christmas and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care (please read more and watch short video). Jenni is now walking (with a cane or wheeled walker), has recovered much eye-sight, some hearing, partial use of her hands, cares for most of her own personal/toiletry needs, and is currently writing three books, maintains multiple blogs, and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Near the five-year recovery mark, Jenni has renewed her pre-stroke excitement about the unique Lilla Rose hair Flexi eight jewelry she sells and has finally regained enough hand/arm function to regularly use! (The biggest ongoing losses at the 4 1/2-year point of recovery are left-side nerve pain, inability to drive, loss of homeschool teaching capability, significant sound processing issues (often triggering nausea), and some profound physical ability limitations such as a limp, balance challenges, clumsy use of right hand and only large motor function in left hand.) Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equipts you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Jenni is clinging to God's grace through the entire experience. Here is her unfolding story, documented in her own words (typing with only her right hand), as she perceives it happening in real time, messy, honest and to the glory of God...

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Crosswired Brain

Hmmm. I don't know what's up with my brain these days? Yesterday morning, I should have had a clue that my brain wasn't working well when I read the trivia question, "Who was run over by a reindeer?" and actually thought to myself, "Oh, that's an easy one! Rudolph, of course!" Wasn't until I started reading though other replies that I realized how very silly and mixed up I was since the obvious answer, based on pop culture song lyrics, was "grandma"! I thought my immediate response was weird, but just laughed it off instead of recognizing it as a first sign of trouble.


Yesterday was the first time I went out of the house since surgery two weeks ago (well, I went to my urology appointment on Friday, short and not overly exciting). I really had a good appetite and handled all the stimulation of being out in society quite well, when we took our son out to birthday lunch. But trying to stand, after lunch, my legs simply would not hold me and our son caught me before I hit the restraint floor. We came home and I slept 3 hours, got up, had a teary, traumatic evening while decimating my husband and two children, then went back to bed and slept another 11-ish hours.


Today seemed to start OK other than still dealing with the uptake in CPS, but I was crying and picking fights within an hour, then realized depression was really stepped up this morning as well. :( I couldn't handle the noise of the drum in church, having to go hide out in the bathroom for the band warm-up before service, then hiding out against my husband's shoulder, him plugging my good ear, during the two louder songs during service, tears (not exactly of physical "pain" but certainly neuro overload linked the noise, best described as "hearing hurt") pooled in my scrunched closed eyes. I came home from church and slept another 2+ hours. When I woke up I had very painful heartburn and Rick commented on how terribly pale I looked.


I feel pretty good this evening, just tired and ready for bed! The music trouble is a new experience for me, reminiscent of when I tried to put on blue jeans in the rehab hospital for the first time and simply could not tolerate them.


Weird how I have dealt with music just fine, even when first coming home from the hospital, until today. :( I'm also having trouble supporting myself or walking a straight line. I have no idea why.

 
Quote: "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" — Jim Elliot, missionary martyr who lost his life in the late 1950's trying to reach the Auca Indians of Ecuador
This is an amazing video. It is nearly 42 minutes long, so if you can't watch it all now, please watch at least the first two minutes (introduction) and last three (most important part of the message). But if you have the time, it is all pretty interesting.

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. - Ephesians 3:14-19
 
 
More information about my doctor, Dr. Gholdoian, father of two high schoolers, (who was shot at Renown medical center in Reno, Nevada last week) and a (short) memorial video.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment