Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Stone is Gone!

The kidney stone I had been fighting for over 5 weeks, I finally had emergency surgery and had out Saturday night. Enough internal damage that i,m on bedrest for a few days.


It was quite an adventure getting to this point. Friday afternoon, even with a catheter bag (that had just been readjusted for leakage that morning), I stopped producing urine and could feel it backing up into my kidneys. I tried a long, warm shower and that offered momentary relief, but Rick still ended up driving me through the bitterly cold, blowing snow at about 8 Friday night, to the nearest Emergency Room. (For those keeping count, this was our 3rd ER trip in about 2 weeks.) I seem to have a thing for always timing ER trips during snow storms as every labor (except the one, day-time, scheduled induction) and each of these ER trips, it has been storming, with this being the worst storm we have driven through.


Once we got there, I doubled over in pain because I could feel the stone trying to move around again. It was about a 9 on my pain scale. I finally figured out why people describe kidney stones as being "worse than labor" because it was reminisistent of labor pain, but without remission, no highs and lows of contractions and relief, just continual. The morbid thought "stillbirth" kept flashing through my mind as it is pretty much all the work and pain of childbirth without the beauty of reward at the end.


The ER flushed my catheter, clogged with large blood clots that were preventing urine flow, gave me a couple of nausea injections, did a bladder scan, started an IV, did a kidney scan, tons of blood work, and decided to transfer me to the large hospital downtown. An ambulance came around midnight, in snow chains, and we drove across town in the ever-worsening and accumulating snow.


I was taken into the pediatric ER because the adult side was full. I had a sweet nurse and then in walked the same ER doc who had treated me two nights before. He shook my hand, didn't even ask very many questions, and got on the phone with my urologist, saying he would ask to have me admitted for surgery because this "was getting ridiculous," especially given my allergy to narcotics and no viable method of pain control. It was around 3am by now.


We were assigned to our room about 5:30 and all settled in by about 6:30, just in time for the 7am shift change. We finally got a few hours real sleep then my parents came and brought the kids to visit for a few hours late in the morning, into early afternoon. I was prepped for surgery around 2 and in the OR by 4.  Again, fantastic nursing (as we had had in both ERs the previous night, along with 2 fantastic ER docs), at least 2 sweet Christian nurses along the way and the same Christian anesthesiologist who did my stroke stents just over two years ago). Was back in my room around 6:30 and released before 10. We drove home in the bitter ice, but snow was no longer falling. We woke up to -2 degrees (F) yesterday morning.


My internal damage to that stroke-impacted ureter was bad enough that I am on solid bedrest through today, moderate bedrest tomorrow, then light activity until at least when I get the stent removed in a week (probably plus a couple days after that). I'm still bleeding quite a bit and on my 3rd kind of antibiotics. But hopefully the worst is behind us now and there are no complications to recovery. I was pretty feverish this morning, but temp came down with Tylenol, so everything's still OK. By the time I woke up in recovery, I was already smiling and in way less pain than when I went in to surgery!


I think I had a rather easy ride with kidney stone until these last few days. In the end the 5mm (upgraded from 4 at Wednesday night's ER trip) was so stuck that even when they went up to pull it out on Saturday, it wouldn't come and they ended up having to destroy it with a laser to break it enough to get it out. This picture represents what it looked like before they blasted it:


100 Day Challenge is still on hold as I recover.
Psalm 42:11 “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”
 

1 comment:

  1. My dear Jenni, the pain must have been horrible for you! I am so glad they have that horrid stone out of you!!!!!! Do they know what caused it to happen in the first place?

    ReplyDelete