Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Clawing Forward

Before I forget (again!), I wanted to not only say thank you to all who have voted for me as a Wego Heath Activist nomination for Rookie of the Year, but to also let you know that the website is still open for endorsements (which will weigh heavily into final selection), you can vote once a day (new information to me, so even if you have already helped out once, you are welcome to keep doing so daily), and while endorsement requires down arrow-ing to the purple button below my picture on the right side of the screen, you also can explain or comment on your endorsement to the lower left of the screen, under the light blue "add your nomination reason" button. Thanks for indulging me in this moment of self-promotion. ;)

Kind of feel like these little babies!

I am doing a little better today. My parents got me out of the house for a few hours yesterday. We had lunch out, my mom and I got to spend some play time shopping (retail therapy with my Mommy always really helps lift my spirits!) and I spent an hour with my counselor. I didn't even get a nap but stayed awake through cooking dinner (thanks for the help getting it in the oven, Mom!) and homework with the kids (though 5th grade math was way beyond me and Rick helped our daughter figure out her three troublesome problems in 2 minutes). By 8pm I was totally ready for bed, but it has been a great day (other than the bowel accident that required an emergency purchase of a new pair of pants while we were out shopping today).

This morning, I physically kind of felt hit by a truck when I first tried to get out of bed, staggered pretty badly for the first 20 minutes I was awake, but now that I have my feet up in my recliner, feeling tired but pretty OK. Pretty sure I better try for that nap before the kids get home, but I only had to sleep for about 8 1/2 hours last night! Poor mom was here (folding laundry for me - Thank you Mom!) and I just didn't even have the physical energy to chat or visit much this morning. :(

 
 
Emotionally, I am doing much better today than I have in a while. Thank you for the prayers. Mom thinks Christmas and having the kids home for three weeks may just have been more activity than I could process. I'm thinking the music issues at church have also been much harder on me, over a much more extended period of time, than I had realized. This is the first week (with a much better music experience from Sunday) that by Wednesday I'm not still feeling jittery from the Sunday morning physical backlash. Praise God! Likely, there is some combination of "perfect storm" type of issues, maybe these along with several I mentioned as possibilities in my last post, that all came together at once, to knock me down lately. But, with your prayers, I feel like maybe we are slowly starting to swing (crawl) the other way again.

 
Remember how I just commented on how my ear wasn't really bothering me very much lately? Well, I spoke too soon! I'm sure it is my trigeminal nerve acting up, but ever since that evening, two night ago, I've been repeatedly getting hit with sharp stabbing pains, like an ice pick is being plunged through my left ear drum. the pain radiates down through my jaw (TMJ just loves that!) and the left side of my throat gets itchy and burns and feels blistered and raw inside, only down that one side, for a few minutes. Other than watery eyes, no one would have any idea, looking at me, that I was experiencing anything unusual during those moments. This morning I went to scratch my left temple (where the pain has been pretty quiet for a while) and was rewarded with raw pain where I thought the side of my face must be scabbed and injured up there, but it wasn't. Life never gets dull when you have a body like this to keep you guessing!
 

 
My friend, Kendra, is sending me a set of nail wraps to try to see if they are as stroke friendly for me to be able to do my own nails again as she has found them to be for her (post stroke product review). She is also hosting a party and I learned a couple of fun tips for order placing - if you have three nail wrap sets in your cart, their system is currently prompting you to add a 4th set for FREE! And even though you are taken directly to Kendra's party link, the check out system automatically defaults you to your order having a consultant, but no hostess, so unless you select Kendra from the drop down list, she won't receive party credit when you check out. Please make this one little click adjustment if you are purchasing! I've ordered Queen Anne to try. Aren't these pretty?
 
The application process looks pretty doable for me. We shall soon see:
 


I finally got back to jumping again yesterday, and started a new 100 day goal as well. A year ago I didn't have the lung capacity to even make sound come out of my flute at all, and I still didn't have left arm strength to hold the instrument up to my lips for more than a moment, nor left hand coordination to press the keys. This is where we are today:

video
Yesterday was day 1 of new flute project....
 
video
and day 66 of existing 100 day jumping goal.
 
(Funny that I'm wearing the same hat hot on both day 1s! That wasn't planned, but maybe it should be from now on.)
Please pray for two friends (neither of them are strokies, actually) having brain surgeries this week. Jonnie had a cyst removed from her brain yesterday and I'm still awaiting updates. Shelly will have a defective shunt replacement on Friday. Neither sound fun! Please pray with me for these two precious ladies!

 

Another birthday week at our house. Our 7-year-old turns eight tomorrow! Our 10-year-old will be 11 this Saturday. (Our oldest turned 14 last month.) My babies are growing up! And to think of how long and hard we prayed for these miracles, how easily they might not have ever been here, of their siblings who never came home. Just wow! My oldest delights in reminding me that he will be in college in 3 1/2 years, but that can't be right. I'm pretty sure he was just born last week or so! Bittersweet...

video
Today, day 2 flute.
 
video
Day 67 jumping.
 
Proverbs 24:16
for though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes.
 


1 comment:

  1. Ok....give me until I can walk again...and I will try my flute again. However, mine is an open hole flute. I'll have to look into those learner ones again.

    ReplyDelete