Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Spring Thaw of the Heart

I found this on Wednesday even if I'm not posting until Thursday. ;)

This is a picture I found on Facebook yesterday:
I decided that this is my heart right now, still under a layer of ice, but hope and joy bursting beautifully through.


Last week, a man asked about his mother who stroked a few months ago and is always falling asleep now, though he noted that some days she is more alert than others. He also mentioned she is not eating well.

I replied, "Just a stroke alone can cause excessive sleepiness. As for the day-to-day differences, her energy reserves could be zapped one day and not another, just from anything else that has required her attention (that shower, eating, drinking, talking, other medical issues like answering nurse questions, etc.) before you even get there.
"Have they checked for swallow issues, jaw alignment, and thing like that? Many of my taste buds are still numb so food doesn't taste right. For months, I had a metallic/bloody taste in my mouth. It could be she legitimately dislikes the taste or process of eating now. But if she truly isn't getting enough nutritional intake, that could be a big part of the exhaustion too. It takes a LOT of calories just to breath, keep your heart beating, etc. after brain injury. I lost about 20 pounds in the hospital, even though I was eating some real (soft) foods by the second week (had a feeding tube down my nose that first week) and they were giving me Boost laden milk shakes 6 times a day, in addition to meals and IVs!"

In her case there was also an arm turning blue and enough lethargy that her nursing home decided to send her back to the hospital for some heart tests that may also shed some light on the situation. I have yet to hear the results of cardiac and circulatory testing.

For you, Kendra. :)

Our oldest is back to school today. I'm anxious to hear how it went. I bet he'll come home EXHAUSTED and buried in make-up work today! He missed 3 school days, so he should have 3 school days (through the weekend) to catch up. Our princess is still running close to 101 fever today, but not seeming to cough so hard she has been throwing up much today. The retainer has been repaired and she is home from school for the rest of the week. My mom sees our doctor this afternoon and will probably be starting antibiotics as well. My throat is a little sore and I've got just a small bit of a cough, so I'm downing vitamin C and immunity herbs like crazy and hoping I don't get worse! My biggest prayer is that Rick doesn't get sick as we plunge headlong into campaign season. So far our youngest seems quite healthy, though he may have actually been the one to start all this, given it to our carpool a few weeks back, and they passed it back to our family.

I love this guy's attitude and sense of humor:
This inspirational attitude check curtsey of Afghanistan IED survivor, Navy corpsman Redmond Ramos. Read more of his story at http://www.stripes.com/navy-safe-harbor-program-pairs-injured-with-mentors-to-help-get-ready-for-next-step-1.189486 .


For those who have been asking me what the Third Annual WEGO Health Activist Awards Ceremony! is all about, please find more about the big picture at http://haawards.wegohealth.com/rookie-of-the-year-award-finalists/ and about me specifically at https://awards.wegohealth.com/nominees/jenni-767 . WEGO Health #wegohealth #HAAwards #finalist
Just because I want to try to fix eggs this way...


I'm posting this picture here so maybe I'll remember!

 
 
Sometimes the conversations at our house get pretty hilarious when I try to tell my husband something important for several days in a row and keep remembering that I need to tell him something but forgetting what it is I need to remember! These two Pinterest picture are spot on!
Today I learned that I had been "inspirational" to someone in their cancer battle last year. We were in water aerobics together. I'm not even sure who this woman was, but God used my story to encourage her. That has been on my mind, lifting my spirits, all morning. You just never know who might be watching or how you journey matters to them. Praise God for taking a portion of this mess I'm living and birthing blessing from the bedlam!
 

 
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. - 1 Peter 5:6 
 

2 comments: