Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Running!

It has taken nearly 3 years, but in the pool on Friday I was finally able to break from plain walking into a run! It is slow and clumsy and looks sort of like a cross between a skip and a gallop, but it is actual running, not just walking. It finally breaks that invisible barrier than keeps one from another, something I truly felt might never happen.  I "ran" across the pool, grinning from ear to ear, multiple times before my mother-in-law asked me to stop so I wouldn't over-do and get too sore (Ironically it is my upper body that been really in pain the last few days, though yesterday's pain storm was all of my left side, including my leg). The excitement warranted a long distance phone call to my mom while we were apart over the holiday weekend.


I hadn't been able to duplicate the move on dry land until a few brief triumphs this morning, maybe one successful try out of every five or six, and success counted in mere steps rather than blocks or anything terribly impressive like miles. After about half an hour of practice and refinement, I was able to capture one run for you this morning:

video

The competitive side of me wants to argue that I know of two different stoke survivors who celebrated their one year re-birthdays by running a half marathon for one and a full marathon for the other. With these stories in mind, I tell myself my efforts are far lacking. The practical side of me says I do NOT know several stroke victims, I only know their family members, because they didn't even survive and never could have dreamed of anything this glorious, this frivolous. :( At this thought, "survivor guilt" can become crippling! The rational part reminds me that I know many stroke survivors, some with much less extensive damage than my own (but hitting just enough difference in part of the brain) that are still quite paralyzed, fully wheelchair bound at 10, 12, 15 years, so never to take these strides (literal) for granted, because they far surpass my doctors' best hopes for my recovery.

Picture my 11-year-old, Princess R., recently drew for me.
Even before the whole running thing came about, I have started intentionally seeking to choose joy, being thankful for what is rather than dwelling or what is not, what is no more, what I wish were different. Inspired by... summed it up well, "Don't let the winds of life deter you from the sweet nectar of His blessing."





4 comments:

  1. I am crying happy tears, Jenni! Watching you run over and over again. You are amazing. You are a blessing. Love you! Heart Hugs, Shelly <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still not able to cry readily enough to have happy tears, but I am happy!!!

      Delete
  2. Unbelievable! All I can say is WOW! So happy for you! I know this is a milestone (like so many others) that you thought might never happen. Proud of you always, Kathy

    ReplyDelete