Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Weary Week But Some Good Happenings


This week has been a wild one. Rick was out-of-state. The first child was on antibiotic and steroids (6 daily meds) by Tuesday afternoon and is greatly improving, but still not well enough to go anywhere. The second was sent home from school early Thursday and has only been out of bed to use the restroom and take a shower to help her breathe better, since! The third isn't too terribly sick (in and out of bed) but by Thursday night, had the same miserable cough as his big brother. I turned off Friday morning's alarm clock and canceled their rides that evening as it was obvious Friday would be a home day for everyone!



How nice to turn off that alarm though! I don't know HOW you manage every morning Rick. Thank you!

Oh, did I mention, my ear started acting up on Monday morning, about an hour after Rick left and was almost warranting an emergency trip by Wednesday night. I had a minor surgery on Thursday afternoon (between helping in our youngest's classroom, where I was when I got the call to pick our middle child up from the other campus, and the youngest starting to compete with his brother for deepest cough) and while the procedure did aggravate my trigeminal nerve (eye, jaw, tongue, throat, left side of face and total head pain), my left ear is feeling significantly less painful. It will take a couple more weeks to hear, then if symptoms continue (gun-shot-loud popping, crackling, painful pressure build up, reduced hearing) my doctor will place a longer-term new tube in the eardrum for me.


I didn't even TRY to do water therapy on Friday. Hopefully on Monday, but only if I'm not down myself or taking anyone else to the doctor that morning. Please pray for my mom, Betty, who is scheduled for eye Surgery on this Thursday, the 16th. She was with me and the various stages of sick kids a lot this past week, as I really don't have other options than to ask her to drive when they need to get to the doctor. Her cataracts are really starting to have a negative impact upon her life and we are both dependent enough on her having healthy eyesight that it would not be good if she gets sick thus delaying her surgery!


Other than sick kids, my big focus this past week has been my rose garden. For the first time in three years, I finally have every single rose bush (I counted, I have 18) pruned, along with the worst of the weeds all pulled, ALL AT THE SAME TIME. We are a third of the way through October, but I did manage to get it done before our first hard freeze, so I'm going to count it as an accomplished goal of my "3rd summer" of recovery! Now we won't talk about laundry, or dishes, or.... But the rose garden looks loved again! And I've also added a LOT of new pictures to Pinterest over the last couple of days!


My mom and I also took Tuesday to just get a lot of little chores and errands done. I had fasting blood work then we went out to breakfast with my dad. We ran by our cell phone store and took care of some things there, stopped by the photo copy shop, the bank, then just had a fun play day shopping ordering food and shopping for items for my re-birthday open house at the rehab hospital next weekend. I'm planning to take lots of pictures and am SO excited!!! I think the cupcakes will be adorable and the deli lady who is doing my veggie tray has a 15-year stroke survivor loved one who is still non-verbal and bed-bound, so she is really excited to work on our food.


Last night I finished making favors for the party. (Kendra, I'll get one your way after the party.) They are very simple, but I DID THEM MYSELF. The project included paper folding, gluing, and a little cutting too. I did at least 90% (95%?) with my right hand, as the left still has pretty much no fine motor skill, but some things simply required two hands and I was able to do that. The favors are very simple and affordable (spent $3 in supplies for 60 favors!) and I'm thrilled with how well they turned out!  But did you catch that I couldn't have comprehended ever being able to regain these skills after my strokes, as BOTH hand were too weak and ataxic (shaky) but I didn't need to ask for ANY help other than driving to Dollar Tree and picking up photo copies from the printer to accomplish this 3-year celebration project! 


If you have been a part of my life (even just online) over these past three years, please know you are welcome! I've invited all the doctors, nurses and therapists I have contact information for, even the ambulance company that got me to the hospital on time! I've you came and sat with me when I couldn't be alone, sent me encouragements in snail- or e-mail, prayed for/with me, have followed my story, even if we have not yet met in person, this party is for you! I would so love to see you for a few moments next Saturday. If you know anyone else who might not have heard, please spread the word!

1 comment: