Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Cold


I just woke up (almost 11 here)! Cool, rainy weather and my body is NOT happy. I canceled Bible study for this morning. SO GLAD I went back to bed and got another 2 1/2 hours sleep instead! General aches and soreness now, mild headache, but so much better than how I started at 7 this morning! Don't know how I'll manage when real winter hits! Pre-stroke I used to much preferred the cold to the heat. Now I don't remotely like either!


This cold sensitivity thing comes and goes in severity. Some days I'm pretty good most of the day. Other days I start out chilled, bundle up, then get hot all at once and start sweating faster than I can remove layers. A couple weeks ago I posted to Facebook:
I am SO COLD and it is only Nov. 2! We just got our first frost overnight last night, so it really isn't even that cold out yet. I'm wearing 2 pair of socks, long thick fuzzy pj pants, a long-sleeve dress, a full-length fleece robe and sitting under an electric blanket cranked up to high. I finally stopped shivering after half an hour, but my nose, hands and feet are still icy to the touch and white. And it is over 70 in our house. My left leg is all spazzed up from being too cold and won't fully extend. What on earth should I expect come January? Fair warning Kathy, the house may be up around 90 next time you come, just so I can function!

Little side note. Long-time readers here know that Kathy is now a dear friend who I only casually knew through homeschooling prior to my strokes. She attends my parents church. That first winter after my strokes, she started coming to my house one full day each week to literally do anything and everything I needed! When she started coming, my effort to "help" consisted of drinking LOTS of cups of water she so patiently served me and lifting the foot rest of my recliner so she could vacuum under my chair! Together we progressed to attempting to fold some laundry, reclaiming and reordering cabinets, my pantry and my garage, creative cooking experiments and so much more.  She has willing scrubbed my toilets, helped me battle weeds in my garden, sparkled up my kitchen more times than I can count, listened, prayed, been a sounding board, driven me to doctor's appointments and on wild goose chases like the day we were trying to track down DMV paperwork and spent fruitless hours driving from place to place and waiting in doctor's offices. She has driven me across town to rescue my children when parts of school projects got left at home. No, Kathy does not live here, as some have wondered, but she does make it possible for my family to live here and I am SO VERY THANKFUL for God's provision of this dear heart sister! I know God would have somehow provided for our needs if He hadn't sent Kathy, but these past 3 years would have looked SO DIFFERENT without her. I am beyond blessed!




ALERT: Chiropractic neck manipulations can cause stroke and other neurological deficits !!!! If you have been affected please notify the AHA/ASA and become a statistical report. ~ DMF ~ LEAGUE FOR CHIROPRACTIC NATIONAL SAFETY~ LCNS (on Facebook) Founder ~ REPOST.
image via StrokeBlog.net/2014/11/can-chiropractic-manipulation-cause-stroke/
Quote from above Can Chiropractic Manipulation Cause Stroke article, "Recently, the American Stroke Association issued a scientific statement about this controversial issue. In this statement, the claim is made that evidence is lacking to definitively associate the two, but that review of many population studies by the statement’s authors indicate an association between neck manipulation and vertebral artery dissection in young patients. The recommendation is that patients undergoing this treatment be informed of the potential, even if the risk is small."
From the comments at the above article, Dean Reinke writes,
Is there a test that could identify arterial stiffness? And thus have an objective measurement to tell people not to get a neck adjustment. Or do we have to ask our chiropractors if they know not to go beyond the 40% force of hanging by neck? From Science-Based Medicine by Mark Crislip comes this quote.
I once calculated that the force of a neck crack is about 40% that of hanging by the neck and it has the same pathologic changes if it goes wrong. 
History of Chiropractic: It all started when a grocer decided to call himself a "doctor"!


I will praise the Lord no matter what happens. I will constantly speak of his glories and grace.  - Psalm 34:1 TLB 
 

3 comments:

  1. While all the above may be true, I am the one who has been blessed beyond measure by the blessing of your friendship. Your wisdom, patience, determination, love for so many and the so lost, faith, love of our Lord and so much much more are beautifully seen in your blog, but I get to see them up close and personal each week and the joy of watching your progress week by week has given me more that I could ever repay by a little kitchen sparkling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Ms Georgia that is your Kathy. I don't know how I made it as long as I did without her. Do you wake up with a smile and a breath of relief when it is "Kathy day"? I know I do on Ms. Georgia day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. That's even what I call it, "Kathy Day"! :D

      Delete