Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

French Braid!

Last night, more than 3 years post-stroke, was another first. I actually FRENCH BRAIDED my hair for the first time! It took nearly an hour, I had to take dozens of rest breaks as my left arm kept screaming in pain from being held at the back of my head, and it was a rather one-handed, lopsided effort (the right did pretty much all the fine motor weaving of hair while the left just held things), but for an arm that was never going to be able to do pretty much anything, I pretty proud of my left side!

I managed to get the crown of my head done and mostly down the back, only to find I had tangled the ends up horribly using my creative new single-handed styling method. It took 20 minutes of painstaking patience with an anti-tangle comb to work through those knots!

I am trying to post my best attempts at hair selfies (hard to photograph the back of one's own head!) but guess I will need to edit them in later if I can get my cell phone talking to my computer again. (First world problems!) Pictures posted at http://strokeofgrace.blogspot.com/2015/01/great-lengths.html instead.

I was shocked, stunned, overwhelmed by this accomplishment and just had to share! I've been doing two regular side braids on my hair each night for bed and for most swimming, for a while now. The single braid at the back of my head has remained more challenging than I could master until just a few weeks ago. Last night I got it in my head that it would feel so much better to sleep on a single french braid again (and it did!) and so I was up until well past 10 to make that happen. Can you tell I'm a little bit excited!
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jenni....I'm dreaming of that! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joining with you in your joy, Jenni :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's amazing! Well done! I love reading about people's progress after strokes. You have come so far.

    Still praying for you, Jenni

    ReplyDelete