Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Monday, December 15, 2014

Home-iversary

Either yesterday (Dec. 14) or tomorrow (16th) marks 3 years since I came home from the hospital. I think it was the 14th, but can't remember for sure. I know it was one side or the other of the 15th, ten days until Christmas mark. I think it was the 14th, but for some reason my memory is a little funny around a few of those details! ;) Oh, I just was looking at my Early Events post and confirmed that I came home on the 14th (so glad I've documented these things!), so today is the first day of my 4th year home.

The day I came home. Hospital bed in living room.
So much has changed over these past three years. Here's a collection of recovery progress, via photograph.
I think this was maybe 5 months (I'm leaning heavily against the table before me as I can't yet stand alone.)
Then Kendra stroked between my 5 1/2 month mark and 6 month mark, thus this blog was born.
Our marriage faltered and nearly broke under the strain.
This became my constant prayer.
Our daughter broke her foot (for the first time).
I had multiple surgeries that first year.
I took on trying a quilt top for Kendra.
I turned 40. Joy was still illusive and my constant prayer.
I finally got insurance approval to get into counseling and started making peace with where God has me now.
I really struggled with memory issues.
I kept fighting.
Our kids moved back home.
I got more serious about this blogging ministry around 1 and 1/2 years.
I wrested with God over questions of  suffering, faith and healing.
I continued to learn to accept this situation.
I kept pushing my "limits".





I got sassy with my cane.
I've struggled with impulse spending and irrational behaviors.
I've learned much about God's amazing attitude towards me, how He desires me to view myself.

My kids and I got back to homeschooling (oldest for just one semester, younger two for one school year, before all enrolled in public school because my math, geography and formal grammar skills were so hard hit by the strokes.)
My hair and abilities (and confidence) continued to grow.
Butterflies became a significant symbol to Kendra and me.
I started learning to cherish living again.


"Purpose" became a major search for me.
I felt (feel) like I lived in medical offices.
Between m y daughter and I, I now have 20 different doctors speed dialed into my phone!
I continued (continue) to work on writing my book I had just decided on title and general outline the week before the strokes.
Our family got hit hard - two more broken bones in our daughter, stitches for our little guy, our oldest got hit by a car (praising God he was fully recovered within a couple weeks), kidney stones, several surgeries and hospitalizations for my mom and I, a torn rotater cuff for my dad and more!

I fell in love with Pinterest, where I now have over 80 boards and 10,000 pinned images. (Addictive maybe?)



I struggled (still do) with laundry.
I began braving social outings with my mom.
I learned to cope better with partial deafness.
I've really struggled with self view, self esteem, believing God about who He says I am.



Kept blogging, kept doing therapy.








Fall 2013

My emotions are still wild and hard to control.











We made a MESS, but tried to bake together, accompanied by much laughter over the inedible, disastrous results.


Didn't win, but made it into the finals.



My horn broke, so I got a bell.


I learned to braid!
Organized my Tupperware.
Took back my garden.

I pretty much live here.
















 

2 comments:

  1. What strikes me most is the change in our faces. Post stroke our faces just didn't look quite like "us" for a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful record of your recovery by the hand of our gracious God. Giving thanks to our Lord, for you and your precious life xx

    ReplyDelete