Starting October 25 of 2011, "InfertilityMom," 39-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder of Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes, all due to vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office. The largest two strokes were brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly Christmas and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care (please read more and watch short video). Jenni is now walking (with a cane or wheeled walker), has recovered much eye-sight, some hearing, partial use of her hands, cares for most of her own personal/toiletry needs, and is currently writing three books, maintains multiple blogs, and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Near the five-year recovery mark, Jenni has renewed her pre-stroke excitement about the unique Lilla Rose hair Flexi eight jewelry she sells and has finally regained enough hand/arm function to regularly use! (The biggest ongoing losses at the 4 1/2-year point of recovery are left-side nerve pain, inability to drive, loss of homeschool teaching capability, significant sound processing issues (often triggering nausea), and some profound physical ability limitations such as a limp, balance challenges, clumsy use of right hand and only large motor function in left hand.) Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equipts you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Jenni is clinging to God's grace through the entire experience. Here is her unfolding story, documented in her own words (typing with only her right hand), as she perceives it happening in real time, messy, honest and to the glory of God...

Thursday, March 26, 2015

It Does't Pour, It Floods!

What a week and a half at our house. Last week was one of those weeks with 1-3 doctors appointments every day of the week, so already hectic. This post was originally going to be all about how I got my fair pair of bi-focals on Monday and am having trouble adjusting to them because of stroke issues. Instead I'll just say that several people have told me that their first bi-focals took anywhere from three days to a week to adjust to. I'm wondering if this strokie will be able to adjust that quickly. Today is day 3. So far I am loving the improved vision for both distance and close up, but not the every day tasks (like walking, trying to cut food in the kitchen, etc.) in between!

Back to last week... The first child was sent home from school early in the day Wednesday. By that evening the second child was obviously getting sick and I had a sore throat. Thursday Rick came home sick from work (and he never does that, so I knew he was really sick). In the end, 4 out of 5 of us here at my house and both of my parents (remember, I don't drive, so mom is always taking me to appointments) ended up on antibiotics for throat /ear /sinus /upper respiratory infections.

I still can't physically cry at will, so this was profound to me!

Our 12 year old (the one in a sling with a broken elbow) STILL hasn't gotten better (yes in over a week and after a full course of antibiotics), has no voice, running a fever and dragging around the house utterly exhausted. The steroid she was given on Tuesday to try to relax her vocal chords and restore her voice gave her severe pain and hallucinations all night, so that was no fun for any of us, especially when she couldn't tell us what was happening! I can now say I have had an several intense cell phone texting conversations, including standing at her bedside at 3am! Have you crossed that one of your bucket list yet? As of this Wednesday morning, she now has a confirmed case of Mono. It is unknown if the rest of us fought this off (the intensity of my sore throat for several days there makes me think maybe so) or if she had more than one thing, since the rest of us are either better or well on the mend while she remains so sick.

After I spent a few hours in the emergency room this afternoon and underwent a slew of tests my official diagnosis is "abdominal pain of unknown origin" (and yes, they do know about the mono and no this do not seem related). However, while the ER doctor said all my test results looked normal as of right now, he did "not want to encourage" me too much by saying I was not playing with appendicitis. Unless the pain is obviously resolving with the next 48 hour, or if it continues to grow more intense or I start throwing up, I am to come back to ER. My mom says she went into ER 5 times over a 9 month stretch before her white blood count showed appendicitis and they took it out! *sigh* I really, really would prefer not to take after her in this area!

Oh and did I mention that we have an out of state medical trip that has taken months to get worked out, on the schedule for Monday? Thinking that may have to be rescheduled dependent on how everyone is doing by tomorrow!

Yep, pouring rain doesn't quite describe life right now!



  1. Chant "rain brings flowers"..... It gets me through sometimes.

    Cute glasses!

  2. Hi there Jenni, I'm Lindsey! I have a question and would love to speak with you. Could you please email me when you have a chance? Thanks so much, I'd really appreciate it! I look forward to hearing from you :)