Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Door-to-Door Grace


This sign is going up on my door this week:


I've always found such signs to be rather rude. I would prefer something more gentle like:

My would say chocolate rather than wine. ;)

Selling = Giving Away

But after getting sucked into charging nearly $500 to our credit card this week, on frozen meats (incredible average price per serving compared to market rate, but in nearly 23 years of marriage, we have never once brought lobster into our house before now!), I am VERY thankful for my hubby's protection in 3D printing me this straightforward sign for me! I'm too gullible and kind-hearted and too much of a "people person" for my family's own good. :(


The salesmen were incredibly kind and sweet, no pressure, no manipulation. They were young, with young families and I really wanted to see them succeed in providing for their families. I just no longer posses good decision-making skills. This is probably the sign I really need. ;)

Rick responded to my indiscretion with way more kindness and grace than I could have imagined. He just shrugged his shoulders, hugged me and said, "It is done now. Nothing we can really do about it." We did talk through how I could have handled the situation differently, and why. But he remained commendably calm and gentle. So now we will be paying off my costly mistake for a bit!


After last week, I REALLY kicked myself hard for this one. I had just read an article on avoiding the term "stupid" in self-talk, so I've been calling my mistake "knuckle-headed" instead. I obviously really embraced the heart of that article. ;) My kids and mom have been heard telling me to just let it go, forgive myself, learn from my mistake, move on, more times than I can count since Thursday evening.

http://www.faithbarista.com/2015/06/4-ways-to-let-grace-in-instead-of-guilt/

This morning I read an article on grace. As you know, I really struggle with the concept of beauty, so this phrase jumped off the screen at me, "Start responding to God’s love — instead of other’s expectations of what is beautiful or good enough." No one but me did anything in this situation to make me feel "not beautiful", but me (I'm an "anyone" with very high expectations of myself!).  Still, it was a very healing reminder of His grace when I read, "Grace means we no longer are trying to make up for our weaknesses. Grace means giving ourselves permission to express God’s beauty and rest — in you and me." 



I woke up with a migraine and 101 fever yesterday afternoon after my nap. Rick sweetly brought home dinner and I flopped my way through a feverish and achy night. This morning my fever is down and most pain has intensified and localized to my lower right abdomen, for the 4th 4-week cycle in a row. I can hardly move and had real tears spring to my eyes this morning. Rick is lovingly yet firmly fussing at me any time I get up and our daughter made fantastic grilled cheese for lunch. 



I anticipate we will still make it to church tomorrow and I'll have a smile on my face (until the older gentleman comes up before church and gives my leg rest chair a hard/painful shake like he does most every Sunday - from the look of jest on his face, obviously a sign of affection when he is not sure how else to relate to me, but a situation I have not yet quite figured out how to handle). This smile is not meant to deceive, rather just trying not to let pain win! I see Carla (doctor's PA) again Monday and will talk next steps again then.


 

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave Jenni. Thanking and praising God for His wonderful blessings. One of which is an understanding husband, and one of which is your gentle ability to encourage.
    I have also experienced a weird connection like that. When you are able to tactfully communicate to the man that this hurts, and he stops, let me know how you did it. May God bless you abundantly this week. Love you. Linda.

    ReplyDelete