Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Friday, September 25, 2015

2 Weeks After, 1 Month Until

I made myself as a Peanuts character. I just wish they had a sassy, pink walker I could have added as an accessory! <3

I am exactly 14 days post surgery, and 1 month away from my 4 year stroke anniversary today!


I am still sleeping a lot! Incision pain is much better. Internal post-op pain actually seemed harder to cope with my second week than my first, but I do feel like I'm making significant forward progress. The hardest part of surgery and recovery has been my allergic reaction then the steroid short that resulted from the drug reaction. Next to these, the surgery itself was pretty easy.


The bigger issue in my mind tonight is that I am 47 months post the scariest event of my life. During those first weeks, first month, I couldn't even IMAGINE making it to three years. Now I'm already almost to 4.


Not much else to share right now. Just didn't want to go to bed without mentioning the two landmarks that have crossed my mind multiple times all day.


I remember an able-bodied family of adults who took the last disabled parking spot (without plates or placard) at the hospital on the morning of my surgery and the hassle Rick and I both went through in trying to get my walker out and set up in a busy parking garage and tight spot when we had to use a standard spot as a result.
Kendra, go type "Brazil handicapped parking spot" into YouTube and watch any of the videos with blue post-it notes! :) One example is https://youtu.be/y7fWYxRq34g.


 

7 comments:

  1. so happy, and proud of you. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think my kids get more angry about handicap spot misuse than I do....and I'm the one in the wheelchair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get really upset. Now it doesn't bother me so much as I am more mobile than I used to be. And I have lived with invisible illness too, so I really do get the fact that you may have a very real illness even if you don't "look disabled." I just get annoyed when someone who does not look like they need "my" spot takes it without even displaying their legal right to park there!

      Delete
  3. Wow, your story is amazing and encouraging. I'm so glad to know how well you're doing.
    Loved reading about your story. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete