Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Coming Home

I started my post series on my trip to Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference with a post on growth, entitled I Perceive It. It seems only fitting that I wrap it up (actually I have two more people to spotlight later in the year that I'll also tag with Mount Hermon, but this is the everything I want to talk about right away) today with some pictures of the growth explosion that greeted me when I arrived back home.

Dale and Jenni

After Dale so kindly drove me home and we enjoyed lunch (sorry about the shrimp allergy!) and hours of talking together, we pulled onto my street that had been wintery dormant when I left town, to this:

 

This is what I feel the conference did to my heart!


I had time to miss my family, for them to miss me. I think this is a good thing. We appreciate being back together!


Even our birds, who tend to be rather indifferent to me, if not outright rejecting, seem glad to have me home!

Nest in a much more cleaned up form than how I typically managed to keep it.
Where I've mostly lived life these past 4 years.
After such a physically demanding week, and actually both surviving and thriving as a result, I came home to the startling, joyful realization, "I'm not an invalid anymore!" (Is someone who is physically disabled and bed- our chair- ridden really spelled in-valid, like not viable, or do I have a typo there? In-valid is sure where my heart lived for many, many months!!!)
 
New attitude!
I had Kathy help me clean up my corner. I'm down to just one end table (rather than 3), am enjoying my CD player in my bedroom again (rather than only seeing it as a therapy tool), have just one basket (had 5 of 6 for different needs) of books by my chair, a tissue box (got rid of the trash can as I can actually walk to our kitchen one now), and flipped my lap quilt from the beautiful fall pattern I've displayed for years to the spring peach stripes! With my prayer shawl and prayer journal at ready access, it is now my ready War Room (rather than more of a hospital room). This feels great!


I'm FAR from having my household managed well yet, but even my Ms. Kathy who STILL comes to help me clean house or do gardening ever couple of weeks, noticed the "new Jenni" change in my heart. The stroke sucked SO MUCH from me on every single physical, spiritual, mental and emotional level. I've been fighting to regain and grow. I'm still young in this effort, in the springtime of my recovery, but "See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance..." (Song of Songs 2:11-13a, NIV).







1 comment: