Starting October 25 of 2011, "InfertilityMom," 39-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder of Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes, all due to vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office. The largest two strokes were brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly Christmas and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care (please read more and watch short video). Jenni is now walking (with a cane or wheeled walker), has recovered much eye-sight, some hearing, partial use of her hands, cares for most of her own personal/toiletry needs, and is currently writing three books, maintains multiple blogs, and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Near the five-year recovery mark, Jenni has renewed her pre-stroke excitement about the unique Lilla Rose hair Flexi eight jewelry she sells and has finally regained enough hand/arm function to regularly use! (The biggest ongoing losses at the 4 1/2-year point of recovery are left-side nerve pain, inability to drive, loss of homeschool teaching capability, significant sound processing issues (often triggering nausea), and some profound physical ability limitations such as a limp, balance challenges, clumsy use of right hand and only large motor function in left hand.) Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equipts you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Jenni is clinging to God's grace through the entire experience. Here is her unfolding story, documented in her own words (typing with only her right hand), as she perceives it happening in real time, messy, honest and to the glory of God...

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Mail and Banana Slugs

Meet the Banana Slug.

Picture taken of my last Mount Hermon picture postcard, to be mailed out today.
The guy I met was about 6 or 8 inches long and proportionately FAT, like a banana left in the middle of the walking path.

For the first split second after I realized we were talking "he" (animal) rather than "it" (banana), I thought he might be a snake.

You would be proud. I did not jump (as if I could without taking my walker over with me!) or even scream.

I FROZE. Evaluated the situation. Thought how fascinated my 10-year-old would be. Realized I was late for my workshop (as usual). Continued on to class with the plan to come back in an hour and take pictures.

These suckers move fast! An hour later, he was nowhere to be found. Even his slime trail had evaporated and left no clue.

So I hit the gift shop and picked up about 40 postcards to send to as many of my known trip supporters, both financial and prayer, as possible, those at a distance who I could not thank face-to-face. Yes, nearly half of those were banana slug pictures. :) (If you should have received something from me but didn't, please let me know! I'm out of picture postcards from my trip, but would still like to send you a thank you note if you can Facebook PM or email me your mailing address, please!)

I thought I had been clever, taking an entire day to prepare pre-addressed address labels before I even left Nevada. I spent the first night on my trip at Debbie's house and wrote thank you notes for hours. I tried to move address labels to postcard during two different conference sessions. I came home and spent another two full days about a week after conference finishing what I still had not yet written or mailed. My last post cards go in the mail today!

I have decided I am no longer mailing out Christmas cards. I always think a project like this should be managable, then quickly find out I'm in over my head. I am SO thankful for each and every person who helped make my trip a reality and do not regret the effort that those cards took in the least.

I just forget how much my ability level is different than I think it should be until I actually get into a project that "should" only take a short amount of time and physical/mental energy. I forget how much I forget, how easily I become confused, how much information I have to verify multiple times before I really know it. Details like where I put cards or addresses, things people have asked me to do that I have to double and triple check the details to understand exactly what they are asking and if I understand the details correctly, if I have actually done something I intended to do yet or not...

For instance, I KNOW a took several pictures of my stack of mail in progress, just for this post.
I've searched and searched and cannot find them. 
So I guess this post is like The Book With No Pictures - enjoy the video!

2 comments:

  1. I can address things and will be happy to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me smile....you are still faster than me!

    ReplyDelete