Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Memories, Decisions, Possibilities

Now that I'm back from my conference, there are decisions to make, possibilities to ponder, issues I am prayerfully laying before the Lord.

With Gayla Beckner Grace

I can accomplish none of this on my own. Only through God's grace, strength, clear direction, wisdom and leading.

Inside Mount Hermon chapel.
Questions loom. Is it time to start querying potential agents? How is all I learned last month best applicable to my current projects?  How does a collaboration work for this children's book I want to co-author? Is God calling me to pursue more magazine article publication? Might my stroke story really make it to screenplay and the movie theater through a friend's proposal? What's my level of involvement to such a project? Might another sliver of my stroke story place is a contest another friend is entering and be published in a magazine with a large readership?

Carol Kent and Jeanette Hanscome, with Jeanette's brand new book, Suddenly Single Mom.
On the near future book front, it seems I have two paths before me. I can either start actively seeking out publishers myself and doing all the investigation, leg-work and negotiation, having little experience in this field, and keep 100% of any earnings I might manage. Or I can try to attract and sign an agent, someone who knows how to help build a platform, find and push possible open publishing doors at the fee of 15% for my future profits from these books. Advice is not to try to do the publisher seek myself THEN to look for an agent, so at this juncture it is decision time, if I am going to go one route or the other!

Jeanette, who are you sitting with here?
If I choose the agent path, that not a simple as just "hiring an agent" either. I'm not interviewing a potential employee. I need to attract someone who is wanting to take me on as I client. I thought it was the other-way-round, that agents would line up and I would select the one I want. ;) (Truly, that's how I thought it worked!) Turns out, I need to query the agent, much as I would a publisher, then be selected to be taken on as her client.

Debbie and me. :)
Would I be able to deliver all an agent asks of me? Did I mention I'm living without 6 parts of my brain that were functional 4 1/2 years ago?

Reno Christian Writers reunion!
Last morning of the conference. Yes, we all look a bit bedraggled, because we were living on a week of little sleep!
This is scary. 

And exciting.

We met Denise and Charlena separately, then found out they were roommates!
Wow! I think writing went from a lifestyle hobby to a career at this conference. I feel a little bit grown up as I ponder!


Father, Your will be done!

Add caption
I keep praying and feel God wants me to be obedient and faithful to write. He will take care of the platform building. This doesn't mean I sit back and ignore open doors He swings open. It means I don't live in a state of anxiety nor loose focus on my calling.

With joyful Joy in the library!
 Enjoy more faces I don't want to forget from my trip:
Amazing to meet Carrie as the conference ended.
Look at the empty dinning room. We were nearly the last to leave on the last meal of the whole week!
Add caption
I'm awaiting her permission to write an entire post on one of my favorite people from conference, Eli. :)
Where Debbie and I sat for worship services. :)
I adore this picture of Marci and Dale!

1 comment:

  1. Am excited for you! I am also hoping to publish one day. Don't have an agent yet, haven't finished a complete work, but maybe eventually. Stretch yourself. But, don't stress out, if it is meant to be, it will happen! All in God's timing.

    ReplyDelete