Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Better Full Than Empty

Only 5 people entered my giveaway last week. The winner is Kathy! Thank you each.

I still welcome additional assistance (follows and shares, everyplace you find me online) in building my "platform" in order to show publishers I'm serious about this book business. :)


Today the kids and I are all home sick. I revisited where I was three years ago in this recovery journey. I was leaving my house (well supervised, on special needs transit) without any family member for the very first times. I wasn't far into counseling. I was still in pretty bad shape, all around!
Even then I was talking about how I was already so much farther into recovery I was than ever expected I would have been able to progress. Now that already seems like a lifetime ago. The changes and continued improvements profound. I guess this is why people that are newly meeting me just don't grasp the magnitude of my injuries and recovery.


I guess in brain recovery years, it was a lifetime ago. I was just 18 months old in several newly wired parts of my brain, only the first 1/3 of my current recovery timeline!


Speaking of brain re-wiring, I am pleased to report that I have been able to cut my antidepressant dose down from 40 to just 10 on my hardest days, 5 actually most days since I came home from Mount Hermon. As low as that dose has gotten, if I miss a morning pill, we all know it early/mid afternoon! (By then it is too late to take that day or I won't sleep that night.) So my brain is still not fully capable of compensating for the emotional needs of daily life, simple people interaction, without a little help, but wow have we come far!


I'm just trying to keep up with "ordinary" life (that's extraordinary that I can do these things at all!), laundry (I now do pretty much all my own folding / neat wadding) and dishes for a family of five. Supervising homework and actually making time to talk and play with my kids. I'm still trying to write my books and find it incredibly slow going. I'm trying to juggle all family member's schedules for doctors and dentists and orthodontists and year end tests, finals, awards ceremonies, parties, summer trips (every one of our kids is taking at least one significant out-of-state trip without us for different portions of the summer, ranging from five days to eight weeks!). Trying to learn all our new insurances that just changed the beginning of this month (and thankful we have them, but overwhelmed understanding them all). There's a garden that grows weeds faster than roses, a garage, office and master bed/bathroom that sort of looks like an episode of hoarders - even when I make progress it piles up again nearly overnight. And there's still therapy two mornings a week and Bible study one full day each week and trying to keep up with friendships and home Scripture study and exercises... My plate is full and I am blessed!



 

1 comment:

  1. I never knew I could realize what a blessing it is to have a busy life again!

    ReplyDelete