Starting October 25 of 2011, "InfertilityMom," 39-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder of Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes, all due to vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office. The largest two strokes were brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly Christmas and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care (please read more and watch short video). Jenni is now walking (with a cane or wheeled walker), has recovered much eye-sight, some hearing, partial use of her hands, cares for most of her own personal/toiletry needs, and is currently writing three books, maintains multiple blogs, and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Near the five-year recovery mark, Jenni has renewed her pre-stroke excitement about the unique Lilla Rose hair Flexi eight jewelry she sells and has finally regained enough hand/arm function to regularly use! (The biggest ongoing losses at the 4 1/2-year point of recovery are left-side nerve pain, inability to drive, loss of homeschool teaching capability, significant sound processing issues (often triggering nausea), and some profound physical ability limitations such as a limp, balance challenges, clumsy use of right hand and only large motor function in left hand.) Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equipts you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Jenni is clinging to God's grace through the entire experience. Here is her unfolding story, documented in her own words (typing with only her right hand), as she perceives it happening in real time, messy, honest and to the glory of God...

Friday, May 6, 2016

Through the Eyes of My Daughter


My daughter was 12 (last year) when she wrote a paper for a school assignment [lessons not learned in the classroom] about my strokes, from her perspective. She has given me permission to share her work with you.


Quoting Ruth Saake, One Day Normal, The Next Day Not:
I put on my jacket eager to go to the children's museum, my 8-year-old self bubbling with excitement! "When is it time to go? When is it time to go," I ask." 
"As soon as Grandma gets here," my mom replied.
"Well when is she going to get here," I ask impatiently.
"Soon! How about you go get a water bottle?"
"OK," I replied, dragging my feet.
[BING-BONG] 
I dropped my water bottle and ran to the door, "Grandma," I exclaimed.
"Hello Ruth, how are you?"
"Good... Can we go now?"
"Sure, we better leave so your mom can get to her chiropractor."
"Yay," I exclaimed. "Come on JerBear. Hurry up Joshua," I commanded like a little officer. "Let's go!" 
 "This is fun, can we go to the art room next," I ask?
My grandma opens her mouth to answer when her phone rings. "One minute Ruth, your dad is calling."
My grandma's face turns pail. "We will be there as soon as possible," she says. "Come on kids. We need to go!"
"But I don't want to go," I protested.
"Come on Ruth, we need to go NOW," as she grabbed my hand and pulled me and my brothers out of the museum and into the car.  
 
 Why are we going to the hospital? I wondered, but I didn't say anything because my grandma obviously looked upset.
"Daddy," I said as I ran up and hugged him. My 8 year old brain tried to process all the things around me.
Suddenly Jeremiah said, "Where is Mommy?"
Only then did I see the tears in Dad's eyes.
"What happened," Joshua, my older brother, ask?
"Mommy had a stroke..." Dad's voice trailed away, when him and Joshua and Grandma all started to cry.
"What's a stroke," I ask? 
"It's brain damage, and Mommy may not be like she was before."
I started to cry, "I want Mommy."  

As time went on, me and my brothers "moved" down to Fallon to live with my grandparents for 8 months. It was very hard on me because at this time I was trying to sort myself out. But it was challenging because I did not have a mom.
But then everything took a turn for the better and I was allowed to spend more time with Mom. I was able to sort myself out and figure out who I wanted to be. I wanted to be happy, inspirational, and kind, including more. I found this in a special person in my life, my mom.

Plus even though at times everything seemed terrible, this opened a lot of doors. I have gotten to meet a lot of amazing people I wouldn't have otherwise. Also I ended up at [school name, I used to be] homeschooled. So now I have learned my lesson, not one we always learn in school, but one that is vital for us to know: Change is hard but it can be a very good thing.
Please visit Ruth's YouTube channel at MyLifeAsRuth and subscribe. :)


Here we are together in a mom-interviewed-by-daughter video  last month. :)
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Ruth! That was so hard! You have learned so many lessons. I love you.

    ReplyDelete