Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds. Jenni remained hospitalized until nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Random

I am attempting to keep each post to single subjects now. So the subject line here in "Random." It should be a rather quick post, but updating on a variety of little things I've been needing to share.



First, this is my last week of being 43. On my birthday, we get to attend a Brain Injury special baseball night event! I'm not a sports fan, but I'm excited. I will wear an earplug in my "deaf ear," because though I don't hear well, what I do hear gets so scrambled by my brain that I muffel it even before I get around loud noise (like a ball game crowd) in order to help prevent physical pain and nausea.


During the week, my very best friend has been here for a few days (and I get to see her for a few days on her way home next week too). I probably need to do a whole post just about her visit.



Updates on my kids. The 16-year-old, Lord willing, will be home on my birthday, after two months away from home. Best. Birthday. Present. EVER!!!


Our 13-year-old flew back (unaccompanied) to Wisconsin earlier in the month. She had an amazing time at aeronautics camp. She flew in a helicopter, worked on several different hands-on airplane wing design projects, co-piloted a small airplane at sunset, riveted and wired airplane stuff, and had the time of her life.


She came home on Saturday, turned around, and went to math camp (her choice - she even saved up all year to pay her own way) on our local state university campus on Sunday!

 

On Monday they went roller skating. She did fine. Even perfected backwards skating she's been working on for years and taught one of the leaders how to skate.


She came back to the dorm for the night, took a shower, then slipped on the wet tile. Not roller skating. Not at aeronautics camp. Not doing any risky activity. MATH CAMP!



And BROKE HER FOOT! (Yes again! Seventh major bone break in the last ten years. Third foot break. Yes, we have done genetic testing. No, they did not find any definitive reasons.)
Just a reminder to every one of my friends that I am not OK talking on the telephone. Please don't take it personally that I don't talk to you. Please don't feel you should be my exception to this request. My exceptions are my mother, my husband and, to a limited extent, my three children (though even my children primarily text me when we have distance communication needs). Even my own brother is relegated to texting! My mom an Rick know me better than anyone else. They listen to me talk each day and understand my post-stroke speech (though my mom often needs to tell me to slow down or not shout at her) and keep thing short enough I can handle them. They also understand my own memory, cognition and hearing issues well enough to patiently help me work through what is being said. With great anxiety, when I have no other options, I will also conduct business like medical appointments via telephone, on speaker phone or with the headset Rick bought me for Christmas.


I've run into my speech therapist a few times recently. She always makes a point to tell me how impressed she is with my speaking abilities now! Some people still need me to clarify and repeat myself several times, even when we are face-to-face, but it seems most people understand me in direct communication almost all of the time now. There are only a couple dozen three-syllable words I am keenly aware of still frequently mistaking. Like if I am just talking and don't stop to think and sound out a word like "vehicle," it comes out as a cross between a 2 and 3 syllable word, like 2 1/2 syllables, with that second not quite skipped, but sort of soft and squished between the first and last, sort of like, "ve-ic-le".


I've been feeling more edgy than usual lately, perhaps fighting a bit more depression than I have in a while, though I think this is circumstantial, not chemical. (Edited to add: After righting this post, I discovered that I had actually missed one day of my antidepressant, the day  of or day before writing. I am now to the smallest dose prescribed and cut that pill in half, so it is TINY and simply stuck to the inside of my pill container when I took my other morning pills. While I only take 5 mg now, they are obviously still an important 5mg of medication that my brain still needs to process emotions!) I have had two "second and third degree" people in my life (not super close direct friendships, but one fairly close online-only friend and one very close friend's father) die within the past month, both through rather tragic circumstances that have shaken me pretty hard. I have three other friends who are in great emotional struggles and fighting with God over suicidal depression due to horrendous circumstances they have each been enduring. And our marriage, while we are each deeply committed to making it work, has yet to return to pre-stroke "normal," so the ongoing stress is hard on us both.


By God's grace, we do have a major praise in God's provision of a new (to us) car. Thank you for praying about this issue for us! (An example of my current emotional state is that while I should feel really excited by the nicest car we have ever owned, I'm frustrated that I still don't have the needed skills to safely try to drive it!)


“Even when there was no reason for hope, Abraham kept hoping.”
—Romans 4:18a NLT

1 comment:

  1. That phone thing.....frustrating, but I must say...I totally am the same way. I text like crazy. I avoid the phone

    ReplyDelete