Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Jeanette Hanscome



As far as I currently have planned, this will be my last post specifically on my trip to Mount Hermon Christian Writer's Conference, 2016. (Want to help me go next year?) I have decided to do today's post as a book review, then tell you a little more about Jeanette Hanscome (her website):
From the chapel at Mount Hermon.
When you commit to a marriage, God wants you "all in." God asks you to fully rely on Him and on your husband. You shouldn't keep a safety net to catch you in case your marriage ends.
Sadly, divorce sometimes still happens. Even in "solid" seeming Christian marriages. Any time two sinful humans enter into a covenant, there is potential for grief. 
So what's a Christian woman to do if she has given her all to making a life with her husband and has no escape route when their marriage does end, against all her prayers, hopes, dreams, and best efforts?
While the Lord's ideal for marriage is life-long, we do live on a sin-shattered planet where His best plans are not always lived out by others.  In Suddenly Single Mom, Jeanette Hanscome tenderly walks along side you through this fearful season, giving short, real-life encouragements for trusting God through every eventuality of your marriage broken.
Suddenly Single Mom offers a year worth of actionable messages of hope, grace, and promise for women learning to lean into God's provision and the re-building a new life when there was no back up plan in place.


So how do I know Jeanette (FaceBook link)?

Jeaneete and I share some chronic health issues, inability to drive, and a love of butterflies!

By God's grace, not through her book, though there was a season there where I seriously wondered if I was to become her target audience.

Last meal of the conference. Reno Christian Writers' mini-reunion. Boy was I exhausted (but ever-so-happy) then!

I've actually know Jeanette as a personal friend for many years. She used to be my Christian Writers' Group leader (before she moved out of state) and has been a great personal cheer leader both of my writing and in my stroke recovery. It was such an amazing blessing to see her in person again, put my arms around her for the first time in several years, and to celebrate the publication of her newest book, born of grief that transpired about the same season as my strokes, at Mount Hermon this year.


It is actually Jeanette who first told me about Mt. Hermon and, year after year, invited me to go. I think she was nearly as excited as I was when God opened the doors for me to finally go this year.

Jeanette Hanscome with Carol Kent.

While not a personal need, I have been blessed to read Jeanette's reminders of trusting on the Lord through uncharted seasons of life, and was even more blessed to be able to give this book to another single mom friend who had also recently entered this world after three decades of marriage. Hearing how healing Jeanette's words were to my friend was a tremendous blessing!

(On a slightly related note, Jeanette is also the co-author of my 13-year-old's all-time favorite book. Running With Roselle.)
Visit Jeanette at: JeanetteHanscome.com and follow her on Facebook at AuthorJeanetteHanscome! One of my favorite people. She will bless you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment