Update: Stroke of Grace has become In Darkness Sing and has moved to JenniferSaake.com.

Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Stroke of Grace became In Darkness Sing in early 2018 and has moved, along with all five of Jennifer's active blogs, to one location at JenniferSaake.com.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Real Time, TN, Prayers for a Friend

I'm proud of myself. Recently, I've managed lots of short, single-topic post, consistently posted to this blog, quite an accomplishment for someone who prefers to randomly, sporadically posts lengthy and multi-topic entries. I've managed this via prayer, self discipline (to stick to single topics), and the Blogger post scheduling feature (write a bunch of short posts at one time, then schedule them out 2-3 posts per week, for the next couple of weeks).

The only part I don't like about blog posting this way, is a slight damper on the "real time" feel of this blog. By the time something post, I may have written it two weeks back. It's a fresh post for you, but "old" news to me already! I'm generally willing to make this slight compromise if it means a more consistent, readable, inviting blog, however there are some days, like today, I just need to record things as they happen...

So in my best announcer voice....

Of course, I would have a PINK microphone!

I interrupt my regularly scheduled posting to bring you this breaking news. (Not that it is overly exciting, just that it is actually happening right now. )

I posted to Facebook a couple days ago (that is still real time chronicalling of my life, except for these blog re-posts that automatically link there within usually 12 hours of whenever they are scheduled to go live at www.StrokeOfGrace.blogspot.com ),  that my kids has all had a virus and I was managing to avoid it surprisingly well (thank you God, for Vaycyte, the antiviral drug I take for CSF, activated charcole, and mega doses of vitamin C) other than a badly swollen glad behind my left (more deaf, deeply-stroke-impacted, multiple surgeries) ear, the inflamation causing both my TMJ (jaw joint) and TN (facial nerves) to not be playing nice, at the same time. Neither are as horrid as they have ever been, but to both be this angry at once is no fun. This affects chewing, sneezing, yawning, talking, even looking out my left eye.

They, yesterday afternoon I took one of the nastier falls I've taken post-stroke. It was purely a balance issue and I couldn't recover in time. No horrid bruises or scrapes to post, and no broken bones (I really wasn't sure about that at first!), but I'm sore enough to be taking a "jammy day" and not bothering to get dressed today. I think I will try a shower after the kids get home from school (so someone else is in the house for safety reasons), but otherwise I'm just trying to drink a lot of extra liquid and sleep a fair chunk of the day.

I did take the one prescription pain medication I am least allergic to yesterday, a couple hours after my fall, along with benadryl. I was in bed for the night by 8pm with only a few hives. I woke up in the night needing more benadryl, but in more tolerable pain levels. Today I am certainly still sore, but can turn my head each direction and raise both arms to shoulder level again. By about an hour after the fall, I ached from toes to face yesterday, so badly I could not move and my sweet hubby fixed dinner for the family after a long work day, then brought it to me in the recliner!

Today, the biggest issue seems to be a "pulled" sore back, and more facial pain than I had before the fall. The left side of my face was really bad last night since my neck was so angry and pressing on all kinds of muscles and joints, causing migraine symptoms in addition to all the rest. It is still worse than pre-fall, but so much better than last night! I'm so thankful for this progress as I was anticipating a much longer stink of the more intense stuff. Thank you, Lord!

Today, as tension has eased in my neck, my headache has dramatically lessened, as has some of the a-typical or type-2 trigeminal nerve pain over there on the left.  But to my unhappy discovery, the RIGHT side of my face, the side that has only ever given me those lightning bolt sudden shots of type-1 TN pain, where it feels momentarily like my jaw has just come unhinged and is being ripped of my face, has decided to join the type-2 party of less-intense, yet constant, throbbing.

A quick second topic I'm throwing onto this post. Please be in prayer for my friend C. who used to live in Reno and now lives in southern Nevada.  I have spoken of her in the past, that we were apparently pre-stroke friends, but I have no memories of her. After the strokes, I kept seeing her name pop up in comments on my Facebook page and finally contacted her to see who she was! We ended up doing several things together after that and she was the first to buy some of our homeschooling curriculum (at a younger level than my kids would need to use again) before I even made the decision to retire.

Bottom line, less than a week ago, C. had a chiropractic neck adjustment. She had them many times before, but this one just "felt different" and she knew something was wrong with her body right away. Though her symptoms were initially at "stop to buy an ice pack on the way home" level, and she never had the drastically severe onset of symptoms I experienced, she has been in and one of the emergency room ever since, with a suspected artery dissection and possible stroke of her own. Since a full-blown catastrophic event has been documented to take place up to 30 days (some suspect even up to 3 or 6 months!) after arterial injury via neck manipulation, please pray for both C. and her doctors to have wisdom, figure out exactly what's going on right now and how to best treat her, and for C. to have protection from any further complications like a full-blow, debilitating stroke! To say this uncertainty for a personal, in-real-life friend is rather disconcerting, would be an understatement! Please pray.