Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

5 Years and Today



Facebook memories are both a blessing and source of grief. Here's the reality Rick was starting to comprehend 5 years ago today:

Rick Saake with Jenni Saake at Renown Regional Medical Center.
Update on Jenni (Saturday):
First, I am sorry I did not post yesterday, we were doing a lot of waiting, and I really wanted to have more information.
Let's start with the bad news. Jenni will not be able to go directly home from the hospital, but will first need to make a pit stop at the Renown Rehabilitation Hospital. How long she is there will be there will depend on how fast she can progress. Secondly she is still in the ICU :(
But let's get to the good news. She passed the speech therapists test for correct swallowing, and is now on a soft foods and thick liquid diet. She was also able to walk for almost 2 minutes with the assistance of the physical therapists. She is also having more smiles in the last 2 days than before, so that makes all of those around her feel better.
How to Pray: (Besides the main stroke issues) She is having difficulty realizing that she did not do anything to cause this to happen to her, and she needs to have her spirit uplifted. Pray that she will soon be able to see the kids, as they all miss each other terribly. Pray that she will continue to do well with both the speech and physical therapy.
Note from Rick: I want to thank everyone for their prayers, calls, visits and emails. It is times like these that one realizes how fortunate he/she is in the friends that they have. I above all have been extremely blessed! When this all started, my heart and mind went to really dark places, and I really feared how I was going to make it through this. I now know that I am not alone physically, emotionally and spiritually. There are times that I believe happen to make us stronger, just as heat and stress is added to metal to make it stronger, it is times like this that will make me stronger as well.
Many have asked how you may help:
Once Jenni is back home, I will be looking for people to stay with Jenni in the mornings and a few afternoons, each week, so that I can continue to work a part day at work, and a part day at home.
Also, I (Rick) am not a great housekeeper, and could use some help on that front. Lastly, I will be focusing on Jenni a lot in the near future, so if you have kids who are friends of my kids, and they can get together to do something together, that will help a lot.
On a much lighter note, look at this awesome chair picture a friend sent me (the picture, not the chair!). I love it.

Posted to the Wonderful Woodworking page on Facebook.
And I voted today. Not a first, but first time since stroke where the only assistance needed was a guy to hold the screen in place since it was broken and wouldn't stay by itself. The actual process itself, all the reading, card insertion, button pushing, I did 100% by myself, start to finish, today!



And, just because it's the end of October:



1 comment:

  1. Love the post! We voted this afternoon. Now if I can just turn off the political ads and mail and email we get about this mess!!!

    ReplyDelete