Thirty-nine-year-old Jennifer Saake (founder, Hannah's Prayer Ministries), experienced 6 strokes via vertebral dissection at a chiropractic office, including brain stem and cerebellum bleeds, in Oct. 2011. Jenni remained hospitalized for nearly 2 months and was not expected to live (near death experience) nor recover, but if she even survived, she was slated to live out her days in a nursing home or, best case, to maybe come home but wheelchair-bound and needing 24-hour care. At 5 years, 7 months God showed how He was writing her story from the beginning.

Jenni is currently writing more books and stays active on both Facebook and Pinterest. Here is her resume.

Since Jenni's chiropractor carried no insurance and moved out of the country soon after the accident (thus avoiding any legal or financial consequences), if you would like to help contribute to the Saake (pronounced like the two small words, say and key) family's massive financial needs (medical expenses alone are estimated to cost between $1- and $1.5- Million in Jenni's lifetime), please visit Jennifer Saake's Stroke Survivor GoFundMe Page. (This support information has been added in direct response to several reader requests.) The Saakes sincerely thank you for your prayers and if God prompts and equips you to send any monetary assistance as well, this is a significant added blessing.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

What's Been Happening?

Since I last posted here, we have a new president in America and we have celebrated an 11th and 14th birthday in our house, my kids have grieved the deaths of two pets, and my daughter has acquired a new bird (yes Kathy, Twitter died on R.'s birthday and Chloe is our newest family member now).


I also am making significant writing progress. (My latest update is posted on my Harvesting Hope blog.)


In fact, writing is about all I've been doing, how I'm filling nearly every waking moment right now. And I LOVE it! I'm just so slow. I actually type fast enough that my mother-in-law heard me the other day and turned around to see if I had started using two hands. My slowness comes in thought processing speeds. Please pray for clarity and swiftness to finish this book.


My computer has basically decided it hates Skype (if I've run the program, the only way to close it now is to shut down my computer and restart, usually requiring about 4 hours of restart attempts), strongly dislikes Facebook at the moment (usually requires a computer restart if I visit Facebook, but at least the computer does usually start up again easily), my battery is such that my laptop instantly shuts down if unplugged from the wall for even a slip second, and it has some weird motion thing that I can't carry it anywhere and the battery will only show it is charging (up to a max of about 30% of the battery gage logo) if I keep it in one exact spot.


After Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference, a new computer will be the next big purchase on my wish list. For now, it works well to be "racing the clock" to strive to finish my manuscript before my computer dies, and stay off Facebook and other wonderful, but time-eating places on the internet.


My ear's doing well since surgery (still pretty hearing impaired but pain's pretty much GONE), my mouth still has a fair amount of numbness but enough "waking up" sensation that my teeth feel both numb and somewhat painful at the same time. I recently had my first post-stroke dental visit with no cavities. My left leg is chronically painful and annoyed with the cold weather. My jaw frequently still ache and occasionally zap me with intense burst of TN (type 1) pain, but the moment-by-moment a-typical (type 2) TN of that left jaw has subsided quite a lot.  I still type only with my right hand. I actually didn't even pay attention to the fact that the 25th of this month was a stroke anniversary date until this evening (the 28th)! I haven't had real tears for a couple years now, but TWICE since November, I've actually cried, first from ear surgery pain (there was a total emotional disconnect that made me wipe wetness off my cheeks and tell my mom, "My eyes are leaking. I think this is a pain reaction!") and recently in a conversation where tears were appropriate to my emotions! (I added an entire post about Kitchen Accomplishments and progress too.) This all speaks to progress, both physical and emotional, I think.


Shout out to my friend Kristi. I love her post on commands, convictions, and preferences so very much, I wanted to share it with you!

1 comment:

  1. You CRIED?!!!!! Okay, I think you're the only person that I'd ever get excited over hearing that they cried but I'm doing a happy dance for you!!!

    ReplyDelete